Meetup at 6:30pm Tonight (5 Quick Life Improvements + How the Ruby VM works)

Michael Prendergast

Oct 28, 2015, 12:00:11 AM10/28/15
to Ottawa Ruby
Hey everyone,

1. What's happening tonight?

We have two great talks scheduled this month, and we're looking for one more (see below):

  1. Main Talk: Elaine Cooper will be showing us "5 Quick Switches ...Improve Your Life One Easy Change at a Time."

    You can see the synopsis on the meetup page.

    An Aside

    Okay, okay, this sounds like something Rubyists may not need to hear, but please allow me to explain...

    This talk won't have any Ruby in it… well, at least I don't think it will.. but, these kind of changes can help you improve in your daily work, and the life you're living 24/7.

    Believe it or not, your brain and body will perform differently depending on what you eat, how often you exercise, and how much sleep you get.

    Don't believe me? Have you every felt super pumped and ready-to-attack-the-day after eating a hefty serving of Poutine?

    How about after eating a bag of Doritos? (Am I the only one who's done that?? :/)

    ...Did you feel as though you were at your best afterwards?

    Probably not...

    But, here's the upside: You can make simple changes and reap the benefits every hour of every day of your life.

    You can have more energy, think more clearly, focus easier, and just feel better all around

    ...by making a few different decisions during your day,

    ...by scheduling a time to exercise in the morning,

    ...by favouring healthier choices.

    So, it's not Ruby, but it's related to your Ruby. Come and listen. If you implement some of these changes, your brain and body will likely thank you later.

    Oh, and Elaine has generously offered to sponsor some home-made snacks! :)

  2. Lightning Talk: Craig Lehmann will be giving us a Lightning Talk titled "Ruby under the hood - taking a look at the Ruby VM source and explaining how it executes your code."

  3. Lightning Talk? We're looking for one more Beginner or Intermediate Level talk. Feel free to send an email to ottaw...@gmail.com if you have something you'd like to share.

Plan on attending? Please RVSP here to let us know.

2. Call For Speakers

We're switching things up a bit. :) Each night, we're looking to have the following talks:

  1. One Beginner Talk
  2. One Intermediate Talk
  3. One Advanced Talk

The goals here are to (1) help ensure that everyone hopefully learns something new each night, and (2) make it easier to come up with topics to discuss.

So, do you have a beginner/intermediate/advanced topic you'd like to share? Please let us know by either:

  1. Replying back to this email

  2. Sending an email to ottaw...@gmail.com (yes, there's a number "2" in the email),

  3. By filling in this short form.

3. Thanks all!

We hope to see you all there!

Be sure to RSVP here so we know if you're coming.

Thanks,
The Ottawa Ruby Team