Absolutely new

Anthony Aoun

Jan 18, 2016, 8:05:02 PM1/18/16
to Ottawa Ruby
Hey guys! I'm a high school student greatly interested in programming and learning code. Now, at school I am learning very basic java however I am very eager to learn a new language that can allow me to achieve goals such as building websites and that sort of thing. Anyone suggest anything? I'm turning 17 in a couple days and I'm just a very eager teenager who wants to join reality and pursue into the future.

Le présent courriel et toutes les pièces jointes peuvent contenir de l’information privée, exclusive, privilégiée ou confidentielle, sujette au droit d’auteur s’adressant uniquement à l’individu ou à l’organisme ou à l’agent responsable de le lui livrer. Toute utilisation, copie ou distribution non autorisée du contenu de ce courriel est interdite. Si vous croyez que ce message est un pourriel au sens de la Loi canadienne anti-pourriel, veuillez le faire suivre à l’adresse suivante : pour...@ecolecatholique.ca . Si vous avez reçu ce courriel par erreur, veuillez en informer l’expéditeur par retour de courriel et supprimer de votre système ce message et tout document joint. Merci de votre collaboration.

Edward Ocampo-Gooding

Jan 18, 2016, 8:37:53 PM1/18/16
to ogre...@googlegroups.com
Definitely pick up Rails

---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Ottawa Ruby" group.

Alexander Miller

Jan 19, 2016, 8:28:53 AM1/19/16
to Ottawa Ruby
Feel free to come out any time. You wouldn't be the first high school student to come out to ruby events. I envy you. There are so many resources out there to support learning programming that weren't available when I was a teenager. Ruby and the Rails framework is a great place to start, I would also recommend to start learning JavaScript. JavaScript has no practical relation to Java other then the name. JavaScript is quickly becoming the programming language of all things web. There are lots of free resources out there to help you learn. Here are some great ones off the top of my head.

CodeAcademy
CodeWars
Khan Academy
Ruby Monk

I would also recommend setting up a github account if you don't already have one. When picking a github username it is important to pick something that you think is super cool now but will mildly embarrass you when sharing your github credentials with your co-workers ten years from now. ;)