New Talk Announced: Watch a Live TDD session

Michael Prendergast

Oct 28, 2015, 4:12:38 PM10/28/15
to Ottawa Ruby
Hey everyone,

Just a quick update to the agenda tonight: Zhifu Ge will be doing a 10-15 TDD session, working through a problem on Codility.

Here are the details:

  • Topic:  TDD for coding practices

  • Audience:  Ruby beginners

  • Why:  Coding practices are important for serious programers, and TDD is awesome.

  • What:  A 10-15-minute demo of solving the sample problem from cordiality(https://codility.com/demo/take-sample-test/), using a TDD workflow, with the Minitest framework.

  • Who: Zhifu Ge, a former teacher/trainer, a well-grounded Rubyist(dare I say), a full-stack web developer on Rails.

If you're curious about TDD, or interested in learning a methodology for how to solve some of the problems you'll see on Coding Practice sites, you should attend.

You can RSVP for tonight's meetup and learn more here:

Here's the updated agenda:

1. Updated Agenda

We have three great talks scheduled this month, and we're looking for one more (see below):

  1. Main Talk: Elaine Cooper will be showing us "5 Quick Switches ...Improve Your Life One Easy Change at a Time."

    You can see the synopsis on the meetup page.

  2. Snack Break and Mingling: Elaine has generously offered to sponsor some home-made snacks! :)

    Take this time to mingle with your fellow Rubyists.

  3. Lightning Talk: Craig Lehmann will be giving us a Lightning Talk titled "Ruby under the hood - taking a look at the Ruby VM source and explaining how it executes your code."

  4. Lightning Talk: Zhifu Ge will be doing a 10-15 TDD session, working through a problem on Codility.

    This will be a a 10-15 minute demo of solving the sample problem from cordiality(https://codility.com/demo/take-sample-test/), using a TDD workflow, with the Minitest framework.

Plan on attending? Please RVSP here to let us know.

2. Call For Speakers

We're switching things up a bit. :) Each night, we're looking to have the following talks:

  1. One Beginner Talk
  2. One Intermediate Talk
  3. One Advanced Talk

The goals here are to (1) help ensure that everyone hopefully learns something new each night, and (2) make it easier to come up with topics to discuss.

So, do you have a beginner/intermediate/advanced topic you'd like to share? Please let us know by either:

  1. Replying back to this email

  2. Sending an email to ottaw...@gmail.com (yes, there's a number "2" in the email),

  3. By filling in this short form.

3. Thanks all!

We hope to see you all there!

Be sure to RSVP here so we know if you're coming.

Thanks,
The Ottawa Ruby Team