Ruby Wednesday is next week (Feb 3rd)

Michael Prendergast

Jan 26, 2016, 11:15:07 AM1/26/16
to Ottawa Ruby
Hi everyone,

[Quick Note (in case you didn't see it): This week's meetup has been moved to next Wednesday, February 3rd. See the event page for details.]

1. Ruby Wednesday is week, on February 3rd.

We have two talks lined up for next week's meetup (and are looking for a third.. holler if you're up for it):

  1. [Beginner Talk] Lightning Talk: Nick Nikolov will be giving a talk titled "Booleans... with three possible values?"

    When using RoR with MySQL the boolean fields may end up having a third, unexpected value.  This presentation will explain why and how this might happen and what to do if you wish to correct it.

  2. [Intermediate Talk] Xander Miller will showing us how to use Ruby 2.3's new Safe Navigation operator to make DRY and readable Pundit policies

    Ruby 2.3 provides a very cool new short hand for performing conditional ANDs called the safe navigation operator. Xander demonstrates the power of this new operator by using it to write Pundit policies to manage user authorizations in a Rails app.

2. Call For Speakers

We're looking for one more Lightning Talk for this month. It can be either a Beginner, Intermediate or Advanced-level talk.

If you're up for it, please let us know by either:

  1. Sending an email to ottaw...@gmail.com (yes, there's a number "2" in the email),

  2. Replying back to this email with what you'd like to discuss, or

  3. By filling in this short form.

We hope to see you at the meetup next Wednesday.

Thanks all,
The Ottawa Ruby Team