Tonight at 6:30pm: Out of the Box and into the Cloud + Domain Driven Rails video

1 view

Michael Prendergast

Feb 1, 2017, 1:56:40 PM2/1/17
to Ottawa Ruby
Hey everyone,

Just a quick head’s up that tonight is Ruby Wednesday. :)

(If you're planning on coming, please RSVP here, so that the kind folks at Fullscript can estimate how much pizza to provide. Thank you.)

Here’s the agenda so far:

1. Mingling and food sponsored by Fullscript

We’ll chit-chat and mingle for a bit, and then get started.

Big thank you to our sponsor Fullscript, who will be providing the space, food and drinks for the evening.

2. Introductions

We'll go around the room and quickly introduce ourselves, to get to know each other a bit better.

3. Talk: Out of the Box and Into the Cloud - by Mike Bell

Mike Bell [Homepage] will be giving a talk titled "Out of the Box and into the Cloud."

The aim is to explain the architecture of a simple "live" Rails App based on an "evolution" from the Rails out-of-the-box application.

Mike will show going from:

 - SQLite,
 - WEBRick

 - Postgres,
 - Passenger,
 - Dokku,
 - Multiple machines,
 - load balancer,
 - AWS deployment
 -  etc.

by stages, explaining why each change is made along the way.

Think you'd be up for giving a talk, too? Let the organizers know by filling in this short form

---------

About Mike Bell

Mike Bell is a freelance software developer with a wide range of experience. You can learn more about Mike at his homepage: http://www.albionresearch.com/

--------

4. "Talk" 2 - Video: Domain Driven Rails

We’ll tentatively be watching a video that shows hands on examples of extracting Rails controller & model logic into a domain layer, and goes through several types of domain object patterns such as Value Objects, Policy Objects, and Use Case classes to show how large Rails projects can organize code in small single responsibility modules.

5. Have a topic you'd like to talk about?

Do you have something you'd like to teach or talk about for 7 to 30 minutes? Please do let us know what you'd like to discuss, by either emailing us, or filling in this short form. We're still looking for more Lightning Talks for this month, and also for future months.

6. Plan on attending? (Please RSVP)

It would be helpful to know the numbers for tonight, for the pizza and whatnot. If you could please take a moment to RSVP (or update your RSVP if you can't come), that would be helpful. Thank you.

We hope to see y'all there!

Thanks,
The Ottawa Ruby Team