November 2015 Meetup Summary + Slides + Call for Speakers

Michael Prendergast

Dec 15, 2015, 7:37:08 AM12/15/15
to Ottawa Ruby

Hi everyone,

Thanks for coming to the November meetup.

Below you'll find the links to the slides and speakers.

We're looking for speakers for the January, February, March and April meetups. If you have something you'd like to talk about, please reach out by email or fill in the Ottawa Ruby Talk Proposal form.

1. What happened?

1.1 [Beginner/Intermediate Talk] Mike Potter And James Ciesielski's talk: What We Learned Building a Shopify App

Links:

1.2 [Advanced Talk] Craig Lehmann and Robert Young gave a talk titled "It's Dangerous To GC Alone, Take This!"

No slides just yet, sorry. Their slides (and possibly a video) will be made available after their Ruby Kagai talk this month. Stay tuned to the ottawaruby.ca blog for updates.

We don't have any links to connect with Craig or Robert, but feel free to get in touch if you'd like to be put in contact with them.

1.3 [Beginner/Intermediate Talk] Zhifu Ge gave us a talk titled "How to be weird - The Idiomatic Ruby Ways"

Links:

We don't have any links to connect with Zhifu, but feel free to get in touch if you'd like to be put in contact with him.

1.4 We ran of out time and had to postpone Nick Nickolov's talk titled "Boolean With Three Possible Values" :(

Nick has graciously offered to give his talk in a future month. His talk tentatively scheduled for the January meetup.

Our humblest apologies again to Nick, and thank you for agreeing to give your talk in a future month!

2. What's Up for January?

So far, we have lined up for the January 2016 meetup:

2.1 [Tentative][Beginner Talk] Lightning Talk: Nick Nikolov will be giving a talk titled "Booleans... with three possible values?"

Description: When using RoR with MySQL the boolean fields may end up having a third, unexpected value. This presentation will explain why and how this might happen and what to do if you wish to correct it.

2.2 [Tentative][Intermediate Talk] Adam Waselnuk Will Show How To Create A Rails Style View Helper With Shifting Arguments via some Ruby Language Features

Adam will be walking through a couple Ruby language features that enable you to easily create a Rails style view helper with shifting arguments.

The talk will also touch on why such a fluid method signature is a good way to go in a Rails app.

3. Call for Beginner/Intermediate/Advanced Talks

We're looking for one to two more Beginner, Intermediate or Advanced talks for January.

We're also looking for talks for February, March and April as well.

Feel free to email back if you'd like to give a talk, or fill in this Talk Proposal Form.

4. Plan on coming? RSVP

You can RSVP for the meetup here:

--> http://www.meetup.com/OttawaRuby/events/227063162/

5. Thanks all!

Hope to see you at the next Ruby meetup, or at Web Project Night!

In the meanwhile, we wish you and your families a very Merry Christmas, and a happy and prosperous New Year!

The Ottawa Ruby Team