Xpeeria would like Ottawa Ruby members to add their skills and hobbies

Michael Prendergast

Sep 28, 2016, 4:39:38 PM9/28/16
to Ottawa Ruby
Hey all,

Hope everyone's having a great week so far!

I wanted to reach out with something that I thought would be a good fit for the group...

Xpeeria is a new, Ottawa-based startup aimed at helping people share their skills with each other -- to teach what they're good at to others looking to learn (and get paid while they're at it).

It's kind of like AirBnB for skills and hobbies... And they're looking for people to share some technical skills (and non-technical too, if you'd like).

The Ottawa Ruby community has some of the most interesting, talented and fun-to-be-around people I've met in this city; I pretty sure y'all have some great and interesting skills to share! ;)

More details below, but a quick note first...

Note: Xpeeria is hosting their Ottawa Launch tomorrow (Thursday)

Xpeeria is having their Ottawa Launch tomorrow (Thursday the 29th) where you'll get to try their most popular experiences live, for free:
  1. Fly a drone,
  2. Mix with a DJ,
  3. Bluff in poker,
  4. Sword fight
  5. Dance hip hop

You'll also be able to sit in the driver's seat of a race car (no driving tomorrow, but you'll meet the driver and can book the full experience via Xpeeria).

It's on Thursday from 6-8pm. Details and registration here:

Back to Xpeeria...

1. What is Xpeeria?

Say you've always wanted to learn how to play the Banjo, how to meditate, or how to juggle two cats and a chihuahua...

  1. You'd pop over to https://app.xpeeria.com/experiences
  2. Pick your city,
  3. Enter "banjo,"

and boom: you find someone nearby interested in teaching you how to rock out on the Banjo!

How wild is that?

(…Now, you may notice there's actually no one teaching how to play the Banjo just yet; so if you happen know how to play it, or any other instrument, it'd be a great time to add it. The Ukulele is already on there. ;)

How about if you want to try wakesurfing or go fishing, but don't know anyone with a boat?

Now you can find ‘a guy’ with a boat willing to take you!

...Just be sure you wear a life-jacket!!

2. Why should I try it?

Xpeeria's goal is to be the place you go to try/learn, or share/teach, just about any skill, hobby, or activity you'd like.

...For those looking to learn, it's a way to level up faster. You'll get hands-on, one-on-one instruction from someone passionate about whatever it is.

...For people looking to share/teach a skill they've developed, it's a way to help take the scary parts out of launching a side gig sharing your passions.

You'd be a guide, a Yoda to a Skywalker, and get paid while doing something you enjoy.

As a bonus, you'd be sharing a skill that you're (most likely) passionate about / highly interested in...

And you'll get to meet new people, too. It'll be fun all around! :)

3. What can I learn / teach on Xpeeria?

You can learn or share any skill you'd like -- but it all depends on what skills people are sharing, which is why they'd like YOU to share some of your skills!

4. Got any examples of skills being shared?

Sure, here's a few skills being shared on Xpeeria:

  1. "Learn the Basics of Skateboarding"
  2. "Come play HTC Vive with me for an hour"
  3. "A Day In The Life of a Startup"
  4. "Hip Hop Dance Class with Brian Tong"
  5. "Medieval Swordplay Novice Class”

And there's more here: https://app.xpeeria.com/experiences

5. What if I don't have any skills to share?

Well, I say this respectfully, but if you think you don't have any skills to share, I'd say you're probably wrong.

...Have you ever used a computer? (Some people don't know how to use them, you know…)

...Have you ever put a webpage online?

...Ever written a blog post?

...Have you ever used Windows, Mac OS, Linux, Excel, Word, Google Docs?

Those are more on the techy side, but you probably have non-technical skills you haven't considered.

...Do you know how to fish?

...How to apply a style of make up really well? Can you help someone apply theirs better?

...Do you know how to juggle ferrets, gerbils or other animals? If so, seriously, please call me.. ;)

A number of the things you do on a daily basis can be considered genuine skills. You've developed them over time. Some people would love to learn how you do the things you do so well.

6. Do the shared skills have to start at the beginner level?

Nope, not at all, you can teach at any level you'd like.

For example, if you wanted to teach poker: You can teach someone the basics (full house beats a flush) or advanced strategy (how to play pocket queens under the gun in a deep-stack tournament).

7. Can I teach things other than technical skills?

I'm pretty sure they'd actually love it if you'd added your other skills as well. :)

Yes, they're looking for some technical skills to be added, but if you have any other skills you'd like to share, feel free to add them.

...Anyone know how to do Pop N' Lock, by the way? I'd love to learn that. ;)

8: Where can I see current listings?

Right here:

9. Okay, how do I sign up?

Visit xpeeria.com and click the link in the upper right-hand corner.

10. Let's share some skills...

I love seeing new, Ottawa-based startups. Let's try and share some skills/hobbies/experiences with people around here.

Check out http://xpeeria.com to learn more, and to share/try a new skill.

Thanks,
The Ottawa Ruby Team

P.S. Remember, their Launch event is Thursday at 6pm

P.P.S. Just one more note: I've been thinking about it, and Xpeeria is also one of those things that gives the opportunity to impact someone in a meaningful way.

A quick story: A lady I know had bought a computer, but didn't know how to use it.

She bought it to be able to email her family in another city/country, and send and receive pictures from them.

I ended up teaching her, step by step, how to use her computer.

The sessions themselves were nice (it's fun teaching someone something new), and one thing I remember in particular is that there were a whole bunch of "mini-wins" along the journey...

We'd be going through the steps to complete at task, and when she'd complete a mini-milestone, doing something she hadn't done before, she'd get excited, gently clap her hands, and smile over what she just did.

Each of those moments were great to see, and brought a smile to my face too.

At the end, she was able to do communicate with her family without my help. It was a great feeling to see her accomplish her goal.

The thing is though, she knew me. And she knew that I was "into computers," as she'd say, (heh..).

...But, what if she didn't know me, or anyone that could teach her what she wanted to know? Then what would she do?

Xpeeria connects people who don't know each other, and fixes that problem.

You may just enjoy teaching someone, check them out and give it a try:

  --> Learn Morehttp://xpeeria.com
  --> Experiences Listhttps://app.xpeeria.com/experiences

Disclaimer: I am not associated with Xpeeria, nor am I being paid for sending this out or for anything that results from these emails. Just was asked to help spread the word, and thought it could benefit someone in the group.