Change name to OGG from GGO. RE: [Obo-discuss] [Obi-devel] Announce a Genome and Gene Ontology (GGO)

He, Yongqun

Oct 29, 2013, 7:46:42 PM10/29/13
to obo-d...@lists.sourceforge.net, Lindsay Cowell, Ramona Walls, ggo-d...@googlegroups.com, Cathy Wu, Liu, Yue, ogg-d...@googlegroups.com, Darren Natale (dan5@georgetown.edu)
Dr. Barry Smith kindly commented to me that the GGO (Genome and Gene Ontology) is not well named since it might suggest a confused relation to the Gene Ontology (GO). I agreed with the comment and proposed a new name "Ontology of Genes and Genomes (OGG)". Barry agreed. Asiyah also thought that it would be a good change. I have also communicated with PRO. Darren commented that with the new OGG ontology, "there is no clash with PRO". These are all good news. I look forward to close collaboration with BFO, PRO, and the OBO foundry community. Thanks!

Therefore, we will change GGO to the new name OGG or "Ontology of Genes and Genomes" from now on.

Corresponding to this name change, I have done a few things:
(1) Generated a new OGG OWL version. Current OGG is the same as previous GGO except that all "GGO_" and "ggo.owl" have been changed to "OGG_" and "ogg.owl".

(2) Generated a new OGG Google code project:
https://code.google.com/p/ogg/
I have also committed the new OGG OWL file and svn hierarchy to the Google code project.

(3) Generated a new ogg-discuss Google Group:
https://groups.google.com/forum/#!forum/ogg-discuss
It is open to the public for registration and posting. I feel very sorry that many have already registered for the ggo-discuss group, and now need to change to ogg-discuss. Thanks for your support!
Anyone is welcome to register and post in this Google Group. We may soon not post many emails to the obo-discuss mailing list, and instead primarily use the ogg-d...@googlegroups.com email address for discussion. If you have consistent interest in OGG development and applications and want to receive related emails and involve more discussions, please register an account in ogg-discuss. Thank you!

(4) Loaded the OGG to the Ontobee. Here is the Ontobee site for OGG:
http://www.ontobee.org/browser/index.php?o=OGG
With this new site available now in Ontobee, I have removed GGO from Ontobee.

My strong feeling is that the enthusiasm for OGG is very high. We will keep working on it and keep you updated. Thanks, all!

Oliver He
University of Michigan Medical School