State of handwriting recognizer

Jussi Pakkanen

Nov 26, 2009, 8:19:43 AM11/26/09
to ocr...@googlegroups.com
Hi

I'd like to know what is the situation with reactivating Ocropus's
handwriting recognizer. A quick search through the history seems to
indicate that not much has happened. Is there an estimate on this and
is there something we can do to make it happen sooner?

Tom

Dec 18, 2009, 1:38:16 PM12/18/09
to ocr...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

sorry for taking such a long time to respond. We're still focused on
the printed recognizer. The last few months, we've been focusing on
Python bindings and developing tools for clustering and rapid labeling.

Pretty much all thee old code for handwriting recognition is there and
it's now accesssible from Python; it should be fairly easy to script a
handwriting recognizer. However, making it perform well will require a
lot of training and tweaks, plus careful language modeling. Depending
on the nature of the handwritten material, it may also be necessary to
integrate additional recognizers (HMM, convolutional nnet).

Tom

Subhodeep Maji

Feb 28, 2017, 8:52:34 AM2/28/17
to ocropus
Hi Tom, I want a tool for doing handwritten text recognition. I dowloaded from https://github.com/tmbdev/ocropy, installed it and ran it for handwritten text and the results were a bit bad. Can you suggest me ways to improve the results or should i look for something else ?