Training ocropus for handwritten text

Subhodeep Maji

Feb 28, 2017, 8:50:14 AM2/28/17
to ocropus
Hi I am new to ocropus and i have read that ocropus can be used for handwritten text detection. I tried it but the results were a bit bad, is there a way to train ocropus for better results or can i get better results by changing some inputs(parameters and image) ?

Philipp Zumstein

Mar 2, 2017, 2:07:12 AM3/2/17
to ocr...@googlegroups.com
I guess you would need a lot of training data (images+ground truth) and train a new model for your handwritting with that. I don't know of anyone has done much into this direction with ocropus. There might be other software/projects more tailored for handwritten text, e.g. https://transkribus.eu/Transkribus/ .

Hi I am new to ocropus and i have read that ocropus can be used for handwritten text detection. I tried it but the results were a bit bad, is there a way to train ocropus for better results or can i get better results by changing some inputs(parameters and image) ?

Subhodeep Maji

Mar 2, 2017, 5:56:48 AM3/2/17
to ocropus
Thank you philipp for replying. I saw transkribus and found that it is a GUI based software and is not open source. I want something which has APIs and is open source for the kind of project i am doing. Also, as far as i understand we can train ocropus only for certain hand writings right ? I want something which is universal which may or may not require training. Once again thank you.

On Thursday, March 2, 2017 at 12:37:12 PM UTC+5:30, Philipp Zumstein wrote:
I guess you would need a lot of training data (images+ground truth) and train a new model for your handwritting with that. I don't know of anyone has done much into this direction with ocropus. There might be other software/projects more tailored for handwritten text, e.g. https://transkribus.eu/Transkribus/ .
Hi I am new to ocropus and i have read that ocropus can be used for handwritten text detection. I tried it but the results were a bit bad, is there a way to train ocropus for better results or can i get better results by changing some inputs(parameters and image) ?

Janusz S. Bien

Mar 2, 2017, 6:43:15 AM3/2/17
to ocr...@googlegroups.com
Quote/Cytat - Subhodeep Maji <subh...@infocusp.in> (Thu 02 Mar 2017
11:56:48 AM CET):

> Thank you philipp for replying. I saw transkribus and found that it is a
> GUI based software and is not open source.

https://github.com/transkribus

https://transkribus.eu/TranskribusSwtGui/apidocs/

You are right however that OCR engines are not open source.

Regards

JSB

--
Prof. dr hab. Janusz S. Bień - Uniwersytet Warszawski (Katedra
Lingwistyki Formalnej)