Anyone working on Hebrew support?

rubinsta

Jan 31, 2008, 5:28:20 PM1/31/08
to ocropus
Hello,

I work for a non-profit that's dedicated to preserving Yiddish
literature. We have a substantial digital library that will be hosted
by the Internet Archive and we are very interested in providing OCR
support for the image files.

Is there anyone out there developing a module/plugin for Hebrew
character support with ocropus?

Thanks!

Aaron

Ilya Mezhirov

Feb 1, 2008, 5:28:55 AM2/1/08
to ocropus
!שאלאָם

Currently there's nobody working on Hebrew. We're not planning to
officially support scripts other than Latin until we're finished with
1.0 (see our Roadmap). But it would be great if you can maintain
OcropusYiddish or OcropusHebrew page (see Pages section of this
forum). A large collection of scanned documents would be a great help.

Best wishes,
Ilya

Aaron Rubinstein

Feb 1, 2008, 9:34:12 AM2/1/08
to ocr...@googlegroups.com
Thanks, Ilya.  I'll stay posted on the development progress and I would be happy to create an OcropusYiddish page and include scanned documents for experimentation.

Best of luck!

Aaron

Thomas Breuel

Feb 1, 2008, 6:22:21 PM2/1/08
to ocr...@googlegroups.com
There is an open source ocr package for hebrew called hocr. It should
be possible to integrate that into ocropus, giving you layout analysis
and ocr for hebrew script.

medium term, retraining ocropus for hebrew and yiddish should not be hard.

tom

Ran Manor

Oct 5, 2013, 4:47:48 AM10/5/13
to ocr...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

Sorry to bump an old thread, I was just wondering if there was any work done with training on Hebrew.
Thanks!