Why is Tesseract so much more popular than Ocropus?

maxim...@gmail.com

Jul 16, 2015, 6:52:10 PM7/16/15
to ocr...@googlegroups.com
Stupidly simple question, but I can't find any straightforward explanation online. The best guess I have is that it is because the research project in germany has now come to a close, but since Ocropus is much more recent and includes features like handwriting it is kind of surprising. Any and all insight or discussion welcome! I'd prefer to use ocropus if I can because I would like to use handwriting recognition and I understand it is more hackable.

PS. measuring popularity by frequency of discussion online.

Philip Gwyn

Oct 23, 2015, 5:18:43 PM10/23/15
to ocropus
Ocropus is still very rough.  I just spent an afternoon installing the prereqs needed and still haven't managed to get any OCR output.