Num module for rationals?

George Karpenkov

Mar 25, 2014, 8:54:58 AM3/25/14
to ocaml...@googlegroups.com
Hi all,

While (almost) every module in an OCaml standard library has a corresponding Core twin, Num doesn't seem to have one.
Using one from the standard library seems a bit awkward since it uses different conventions for argument order, function names, etc...

Is it the case that
  • There is a core module for rationals and I haven't noticed it?
  • There isn't, and it is not planned since Jane Street does not need rationals support?
  • There isn't, but it is planned [eventually]?
George

Ben Millwood

Mar 25, 2014, 12:07:42 PM3/25/14
to ocaml...@googlegroups.com
Hi George,

Jane Street does have an internal library for handling arbitrary-precision rationals, based on the zarith library. We've not released it before, but I'm not aware of any serious obstacle to doing so, it's just that no-one has done the necessary work.

We'll consider it for inclusion in the next public release, which should be next week (give or take).

George Karpenkov

Mar 26, 2014, 5:58:56 AM3/26/14
to ocaml...@googlegroups.com
Cool, thanks, nice to hear!