Will Incremental be open sourced?

Malcolm Matalka

Nov 30, 2012, 6:07:02 AM11/30/12
to ocaml...@googlegroups.com
I noticed Yaron gave a talk about Incremental at CMU. Sounds pretty
great, I've been dreaming about building great ncurses-based
applications in Ocaml since CUFP :)

Is there any plan to open source Incremental?

Thanks,
/Malcolm

Anil Madhavapeddy

Nov 30, 2012, 6:11:46 AM11/30/12
to ocaml...@googlegroups.com
A practical FRP library would be a great thing to have alongside Async!

-anil

Yaron Minsky

Nov 30, 2012, 6:38:25 AM11/30/12
to ocaml...@googlegroups.com
Sorry. At present, we have no plans to open-source incremental.

We do have some other libraries we're thinking about getting cleaned
up for release, though, including a library for coordinating parallel
computations and a library for managing ocaml plug-in libraries...

Malcolm Matalka

Nov 30, 2012, 6:45:32 AM11/30/12
to ocaml...@googlegroups.com
Damn you for teasing us! But I really appreciate all that Jane St has
given to the community so I can't complain too much :)

Thanks,
/M

Markus Mottl

Nov 30, 2012, 9:59:29 AM11/30/12
to ocaml...@googlegroups.com
A few other general things coming to my mind that the community might like:

* OMake build rules
* Async curses library
* LZO library

I'm sure there is more :-)

Regards,
Markus

On Fri, Nov 30, 2012 at 6:11 AM, Anil Madhavapeddy <an...@recoil.org> wrote:
--
Markus Mottl http://www.ocaml.info markus...@gmail.com

Anil Madhavapeddy

Nov 30, 2012, 10:01:12 AM11/30/12
to ocaml...@googlegroups.com
On 30 Nov 2012, at 14:59, Markus Mottl <markus...@gmail.com> wrote:

> A few other general things coming to my mind that the community might like:
>
> * OMake build rules
> * Async curses library

This one gets me disproportionately excited. But then, Jeremie's zed and
lambda-term libraries are also brilliant (but for Lwt). It's what is used
to drive the interactive utop experience.

More ncurses, less GUI!

-anil

Malcolm Matalka

Nov 30, 2012, 10:51:46 AM11/30/12
to ocaml...@googlegroups.com
Hear hear!

Yaron Minsky

Nov 30, 2012, 5:06:07 PM11/30/12
to ocaml...@googlegroups.com
Reasonable suggestions one and all. The main barrier is time to make
these things ready for an external release. Actually, real work has
already been done on externalizing the omake rules, though I'm not
sure where that is now. The curses library would really be a good
idea. Just need to get someone inside of JS to volunteer to do the
work...

Malcolm Matalka

Nov 30, 2012, 5:21:25 PM11/30/12
to ocaml...@googlegroups.com

Would it be practical for JS to hire someone part time with an NDA who just does to grunt work for open sourcing things?  I realize that's a lot to ask but tossing it out there.

/M

Francois Berenger

Jan 14, 2013, 9:23:02 PM1/14/13
to ocaml...@googlegroups.com
On Fri, Nov 30, 2012 at 11:59 PM, Markus Mottl <markus...@gmail.com> wrote:
> A few other general things coming to my mind that the community might like:
>
> * OMake build rules
> * Async curses library
> * LZO library

Hello,

Will the LZO library be pure OCaml or is this a wrapper
to some C library?

I'm quite interested into using it.

I can help package for oasis and OPAM, if that helps.

Best regards,
F.

Francois Berenger

Jan 14, 2013, 9:26:35 PM1/14/13
to ocaml...@googlegroups.com
On Tue, Jan 15, 2013 at 11:23 AM, Francois Berenger
<francois.ber...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Fri, Nov 30, 2012 at 11:59 PM, Markus Mottl <markus...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> A few other general things coming to my mind that the community might like:
>>
>> * OMake build rules
>> * Async curses library
>> * LZO library
>
> Hello,
>
> Will the LZO library be pure OCaml or is this a wrapper
> to some C library?

I noticed yesterday some interesting bindings in fact:

To Google snappy:
https://forge.ocamlcore.org/projects/snappy/

Or to LZO:
https://forge.ocamlcore.org/projects/lzo/

I'll try to get these into OPAM, starting now. :)

Markus Mottl

Jan 14, 2013, 9:40:54 PM1/14/13
to ocaml...@googlegroups.com
On Mon, Jan 14, 2013 at 9:23 PM, Francois Berenger
<francois.ber...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Will the LZO library be pure OCaml or is this a wrapper
> to some C library?
>
> I'm quite interested into using it.
>
> I can help package for oasis and OPAM, if that helps.

The LZO library is a wrapper to C (or even: assembly) for performance
reasons. It should be more comprehensive and faster (e.g. allowing
multiple threads) than the wrapper on OCaml Forge.

I haven't tried Snappy, but it seems very competitive. Its OCaml
bindings could likely also benefit from some improvements.

Regards,
Markus

Francois Berenger

Jan 15, 2013, 8:05:59 PM1/15/13
to ocaml...@googlegroups.com
On Tue, Jan 15, 2013 at 11:40 AM, Markus Mottl <markus...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Mon, Jan 14, 2013 at 9:23 PM, Francois Berenger
> <francois.ber...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Will the LZO library be pure OCaml or is this a wrapper
>> to some C library?
>>
>> I'm quite interested into using it.
>>
>> I can help package for oasis and OPAM, if that helps.
>
> The LZO library is a wrapper to C (or even: assembly) for performance
> reasons. It should be more comprehensive and faster (e.g. allowing
> multiple threads) than the wrapper on OCaml Forge.
>
> I haven't tried Snappy, but it seems very competitive. Its OCaml
> bindings could likely also benefit from some improvements.

lzo and snappy are available in OPAM now.

I will give them a try soon on some text files with
highly redundant keywords and whitespaces.

Yaron Minsky

Jul 6, 2015, 3:21:38 PM7/6/15
to ocaml...@googlegroups.com
to follow up on an old thread: we just open-sourced Incremental.
We'll send out an announcement shortly, but you can find it here:

https://github.com/janestreet/incremental/

On Tue, Jan 15, 2013 at 8:05 PM, Francois Berenger