Current status for retina support

Andres Clari

Sep 6, 2017, 9:57:42 AM9/6/17
to Cappuccino & Objective-J
Hi! I'm new to Cappuccino, and already I'm using it for a sizable app, and it's a pleasure.

But I was thinking about how's the retina support for Aristo 2 coming along? From what I've seen searching around, nothing more recent than 2013 has been mentioned about this, and work on the Flat theme, seems to be, well "flat".

I don't have a retina computer yet, but one is certainly going to appear for me soon enough, and some user of this app of mine may have to use it on retina already.

So, for those of you that do have retina, do we currently support it properly?

If not, is there anything special you're doing to make it look good at hi-res?

If so, could that be shared?

And on another note, if no progress for providing the necessary assets has been done we should devise a plan to get this done:

- Getting all assets properly vectorized

- Converting bitmap only assets to vectors

- Having a jake task / setting to use @2x assets instead of @1x

- Long term, have the AppKit choose the appropriate one, however, it would be better to just have retina assets work in some form before thinking about refactoring anything.

I'm willing to help in whatever possible, but I'm no expert in most of Cappuccino's internals / theming so I can't just do it.

Thanks.

Keary Suska

Sep 6, 2017, 11:00:01 AM9/6/17
to objec...@googlegroups.com

> On Sep 5, 2017, at 8:21 PM, Andres Clari <andres...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Hi! I'm new to Cappuccino, and already I'm using it for a sizable app, and it's a pleasure.
>
> But I was thinking about how's the retina support for Aristo 2 coming along? From what I've seen searching around, nothing more recent than 2013 has been mentioned about this, and work on the Flat theme, seems to be, well "flat".
>
> I don't have a retina computer yet, but one is certainly going to appear for me soon enough, and some user of this app of mine may have to use it on retina already.
>
> So, for those of you that do have retina, do we currently support it properly?
>
> If not, is there anything special you're doing to make it look good at hi-res?

I do all my work on a retina iMac, and I don’t have to do anything for Cappuccino to look good. Remember that it is the browser, rather than the OS, that is responsible for rendering the UI, and it does a pretty good job IMHO.

In cases where I have played around with hi-res images, I haven’t noticed a lot of difference, and you can always use hi-res on a case-by-case basis, as long as you always scale images down in image views and buttons.

Transparent support in the API might be useful, but I doubt it is a high priority.

Keary Suska
Esoteritech, Inc.

daboe01

Sep 7, 2017, 1:36:08 PM9/7/17
to Cappuccino & Objective-J
hi andres,
retina support had been introduced in 0.9.9
http://www.cappuccino-project.org/cappuccino-release-notes.html

as for aristo2 artwork, you can hardly see any difference because it is made mostly of 1px wide gradient images.
GUI text is high-res.

best whishes,

daniel

Andres Clari

Sep 8, 2017, 8:46:39 AM9/8/17
to Cappuccino & Objective-J
Well it's good to know that it looks good then!

Thanks for the confirmation

daboe01

Sep 10, 2017, 5:47:18 AM9/10/17
to Cappuccino & Objective-J
while my apps generally look good on retina, scrolling by momentum via trackpad is damn slow on chrome (not so on safari, though).
do others also see this?