How could I use the latest ojtest in cappuccino 0.98?

Zhi-Qing Wu

Jun 12, 2016, 2:12:49 PM6/12/16
to Cappuccino & Objective-J
Hello,
I started using Cappuccino 0.98 several months ago and notice it contains 12 testing files in ../narwhal/packages/OJTest/Test. I have tried all of them with ojtest, only 3 of them could completely passed all their unit tests.
I also find the same directory in Cappuccino 0.99 and almost all testing files in ../narwhal/packages/OJTest/Test could completely passed all their unit tests.
Now I have a large Cappuccino project which was written by our previous software engineers, and the project was written in Cappuccino 0.98. I have spent 3 days in upgrading its source code so that it could work properly in Cappuccino 0.99. However, my efforts do not work and some errors in the browser's console  do not show me where the errors take place in the source code.
Now my supervisor wants me to add some unit tests to the project and hope to use the latest ojtest in the testing. However, after I installed the new ojtest  in  Cappuccino 0.98 (by following http://www.cappuccino-project.org/learn/ojtest.html) and tried the 12 testing files in ../narwhal/packages/OJTest/Test, I only got a lot of error messages and no files passed any unit test.
It would be appreciated if somebody could tell me if it is possible to use the latest ojtest in Cappuccino 0.98.
If it is not possible, how could I get the latest ojtest for Cappuccino 0.98, which could let most testing files (in   ../narwhal/packages/OJTest/Test) pass their unit tests?
Relevant information is welcome. I did all my tests in both Mac OS X 10.11.3 and Ubuntu 12.
Many thanks in advance.
Kind Regards,
Zhi

Martin Carlberg

Jun 13, 2016, 10:02:42 AM6/13/16
to objec...@googlegroups.com
Hi!

I know that some years ago the test cases for OJTest did not pass. But the OJTest framework worked well enough for all test cases in Cappuccino. I also know that someone finally fixed the OJTest test cases. That fits well with what you have found out too.

There are some changes in the Objective-J runtime for Cappuccino 0.9.9 that demanded changes to the OJTest framework. I don’t know if it is backward compatible with Cappuccino 0.9.8 but it looks like it is not from your tests.

As the Cappuccino framework is moving forward all the time I think you should use your time on making your application run on the 0.9.9 version and skip try to get the new OJTest run on 0.9.8. You will also enjoy a lot of new features, speed improvements and bug fixes.

Some people have had problems getting there old applications to run on 0.9.9 but what I know everyone has been able to solve the problems.

Please post here on the mail list what problems you have so we can help you get your application up and running on 0.9.9

Best regards,

- Martin

Zhi-Qing Wu

Jun 13, 2016, 4:16:47 PM6/13/16
to objec...@googlegroups.com
Hi Martin,
Loads of thanks for your advice and information. At present my line manager is still worried about the time to be spent in getting the applications to run on Cappuccino 0.9.9.
Have the OJTest test cases fixed by someone been uploaded to a public repository? Before my line manage makes his mind, I'd better work on OJTest in Cappuccino 0.9.8.
Best Regards,
Zhi

Zhi-Qing Wu

Jun 13, 2016, 4:43:22 PM6/13/16
to objec...@googlegroups.com
Hi Martin,
Sorry, I made a mistake. Actually, The version of Cappuccino I am using is 0.9.7 rather than 0.9.8. The OJTest test cases for Cappuccino 0.9.8 are correct.
Best Regards,
Zhi

Martin Carlberg

Jun 14, 2016, 3:19:12 AM6/14/16
to objec...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

You can find the OJTest repository on github. https://github.com/cappuccino/OJTest.

If you are on 0.9.7 there are even more reasons to make the move over to 0.9.9. I understand that it will require work but I think it will be worth it.

There are some information in the release notes about what has changed:

- Martin

Zhi-Qing Wu

Jun 15, 2016, 5:45:48 AM6/15/16
to objec...@googlegroups.com
Hi Martin,
By following your information, I finally found a copy of OJTest (Mar, 2013) which could work properly in Cappuccino 0.9.7.
I will persuade other staff to move over to 0.99 later this month. I might ask you more questions if we could not sort out our problems in upgrading.
Many thanks for your helps.
Kind Regards,
Zhiqing