Jake not working after node / npm install

Message has been deleted

Andrew

Apr 2, 2012, 3:48:00 PM4/2/12
to objec...@googlegroups.com
This weekend I installed node.js and npm, and after that the jake command began to fail. The error I get is the following:

Larson-2:cappuccino larson$ jake install
(in /Users/larson/cappuccino)
TypeError: Type error

I tried to reinstall cappuccino from source but that didn't help. Uninstalling node and npm and resinstalling cappuccino from source also did not help. I suspect that node or npm changed some component of the js setup, anybody ran into this issue before?

Andrew

Aparajita Fishman

Apr 2, 2012, 5:43:57 PM4/2/12
to objec...@googlegroups.com
How did you install node and npm?

> --

Regards,

Aparajita

Andrew

Apr 2, 2012, 10:41:13 PM4/2/12
to objec...@googlegroups.com
I used homebrew for installing node and used curl to get the installer.sh for npm from npmjs.org

I followed the standard instructions for removing npm, and removed packages installed via npm individually (i only got socket.io). For node I uninstalled through homebrew.

Aparajita Fishman

Apr 3, 2012, 12:56:24 AM4/3/12
to objec...@googlegroups.com
> I used homebrew for installing node and used curl to get the installer.sh for npm from npmjs.org
>
> I followed the standard instructions for removing npm, and removed packages installed via npm individually (i only got socket.io). For node I uninstalled through homebrew.

Use the package installers from nodejs.org, they work without killing cappuccino. But I don't know what the homebrew installer did to your system setup. You could try reinstalling the system.

Regards,

Aparajita
Cappuccino Core Developer

Andrew

Apr 3, 2012, 2:48:06 AM4/3/12
to objec...@googlegroups.com

Thanks Aparajita, next time I will use the provided installer rather than homebrew. Not the first time it messed things up.

After messing around with jake some more, I noticed that it runs fine in folders where there's no jake file (it pushes a no jake file message). So the system still detects jake exists. I'm thinking that now the error above is something that occurs when the jakefile is executed. The first line of every jake file is require("./common.jake");, does anyone know where this reference is kept?

Aparajita Fishman

Apr 3, 2012, 3:34:57 AM4/3/12
to objec...@googlegroups.com
How are you creating Jakefiles? Only the master cappuccino Jakefile uses common.jake. For any other projects you are supposed to use 'capp gen' to create the project skeleton and Jakefile.

Daniel Stolzenberg

Apr 3, 2012, 3:49:40 AM4/3/12
to <objectivej@googlegroups.com>
I am experiencing the same "TypeError: Type error" messages from jake, but they appeared after updating Safari to 5.1.5.. Did you update Safari within the same timeframe?

Andrew

Apr 3, 2012, 11:49:18 AM4/3/12
to objec...@googlegroups.com
Aparajita, I am trying to run jake install inside the cappuccino directory. Any jakefiles I am running were generated by cappuccino (and there hasn't been a commit to the master cappuccino jakefile for some time)

Daniel, you're right, I ran a bunch of 10.6.8 updates this weekend as well and one of them was Safari 5.1.5. So node might be innocent after all.

Vladimir Pouzanov

Apr 3, 2012, 11:57:18 AM4/3/12
to objec...@googlegroups.com
Didn't node provide its own version of jake? What does

which jake

say to you? It should be /usr/local/narwhal/bin/jake, no /usr/local/bin/jake

--
Vladimir Pouzanov
http://www.farcaller.net/

Andrew

Apr 3, 2012, 12:55:43 PM4/3/12
to objec...@googlegroups.com
Farcaller, now I'm getting  /usr/local/narwhal/bin/jake, but i removed node so it doesn't really answer your question. I also went ahead and downgraded my safari to 5.0.5 (following a post here https://discussions.apple.com/thread/3199993?start=0&tstart=0) and jake works fine.

The only strange thing is these errors on jake install:

The following dependencies could not be found in the catalog:
 * narwhal <- objective-j
 * browserjs <- objective-j
 * jake <- objective-j
 * narwhal <- cappuccino
 * browserjs <- cappuccino
 * jake <- cappuccino
Please notify the package system maintainers.

$rvm_path (/usr/local/rvm) does not exist./Users/larson/.rvm/scripts/rvm: line 158: __rvm_teardown: command not found

$rvm_path (/usr/local/rvm) does not exist./Users/larson/.rvm/scripts/rvm: line 158: __rvm_teardown: command not found
The following dependencies could not be found in the catalog:
 * narwhal <- objective-j
 * browserjs <- objective-j
 * jake <- objective-j
 * narwhal <- cappuccino
 * browserjs <- cappuccino
 * jake <- cappuccino
Please notify the package system maintainers.

But after I searched for that error, it turns out to be a tusk issue, which shouldn't affect cappuccino. So far things are looking on fine my end.

Later this week I will reinstall node again and see if it's really safari or node that's causing jake to break down.

Andrew

Maz

Apr 4, 2012, 11:16:15 AM4/4/12
to Cappuccino & Objective-J
Do you have RVM (Ruby Version Manager installed)? Since it seems that
one of the errors being displayed is an error from RVM, it could be
affecting your bash profile and consequently some environment
variables which are needed by Cappuccino.

On Apr 3, 12:55 pm, Andrew <abari...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Farcaller, now I'm getting  /usr/local/narwhal/bin/jake, but i removed node
> so it doesn't really answer your question. I also went ahead and downgraded
> my safari to 5.0.5 (following a post herehttps://discussions.apple.com/thread/3199993?start=0&tstart=0)

stephen white

Apr 8, 2012, 10:44:59 AM4/8/12
to objec...@googlegroups.com
On 04/04/2012, at 2:25 AM, Andrew wrote:
> Farcaller, now I'm getting /usr/local/narwhal/bin/jake, but i removed node so it doesn't really answer your question. I also went ahead and downgraded my safari to 5.0.5 (following a post here https://discussions.apple.com/thread/3199993?start=0&tstart=0) and jake works fine.

I ran into the problem, and found it's somewhere in jsc. If you bootstrap without jsc, then edit out NARWHAL_ENGINE in narwhal.local.conf, it will build Cappuccino using Rhino.

If you want to keep looking into the problem, you could examine how bootstrap.sh builds jsc and the compile options used. It's not a concern for me as I just wanted the new build.

--
st...@adam.com.au

Lang Riley

May 1, 2012, 12:11:20 AM5/1/12
to Cappuccino & Objective-J
I'll add that I too experienced this same error and that downgrading
to Safari 5.0.5 as described here: https://discussions.apple.com/thread/3199993?start=0&tstart=0
solved the problem for me as well.