Cappuccino IDE/Editor with code completion

Antonio Calanducci

Jun 27, 2016, 12:28:09 PM6/27/16
to Cappuccino & Objective-J
Hi all,

after watching the CappConn 2016 videos, I spent the weekend giving a try again to this fantastic framework!
I really hate all the micro framework trend and to use CSS to make layouts! Cappuccino, SproutCore, Qooxdoo and ExtJS are the only true frameworks for developers!

By the way, I am currently using Atom with a syntax highlighting plugin for Objective-J. I also tried VSCode (using Objective-C syntax).

Is there any editor or IDE that offers code completion for methods and classes? For a large framework like Cappuccino it's not so easy, especially at the beginning, to remember methods signatures.

What is your current toolchain/set up when developing Cappuccino apps? What editor and plugin do you use? I've seen some suggestions here:

But not seeing Atom for example let me think that it's not updated.

I cannot promise anything for now, but I hope to contribute providing some tutorials or screencasts about Cappuccino.

Best
Antonio

Prof. Michael Bach

Jun 27, 2016, 12:35:46 PM6/27/16
to objec...@googlegroups.com
Dear Antonio:

> … Is there any editor or IDE that offers code completion for methods and classes? For a large framework like Cappuccino it's not so easy, especially at the beginning, to remember methods signatures.

A small step in the right direction:
use XCode, and select Editor>Syntax Coloring>Objective C
that –in addition to syntax colouring– will also do partial code completion. At least it will complete any names that have already appeared once. Not the full answer to your "method signatures” request (which I have myself), but better than nothing. It also improves automatic code indenting.
I set a keyboard shortcut on it, since I use it so often.

A tidbit I was glad to learn at CappConn 2016.

bwm

Prof. Michael Bach PhD, Eye Center, University of Freiburg, Killianstr. 5, 79106 Freiburg, Germany.
Michae...@uni-freiburg.de <http://michaelbach.de>

Keary Suska

Jun 27, 2016, 4:32:04 PM6/27/16
to objec...@googlegroups.com
Currently I use BBEdit and I have constructed an autocomplete library for the entire (Objective-J) API. It works fairly well, and since I have an app that extracts the API symbols I can refresh easily every time I update my install.

Best,

Keary Suska
Esoteritech, Inc.

Antonio Calanducci

Jun 28, 2016, 2:34:26 AM6/28/16
to Cappuccino & Objective-J
Thank you for the reply.

Not sure if you have tried the editor I have mentioned, but both Atom, VS Code (and Sublime Text) have built-in an "auto learning" feature, that remembers tokens (variable and method names) used before, in the same way you are suggesting Xcode is doing. If I don't have any extra benefits by using Xcode, I would prefer to use the editors because are more lightweight and support JS too.

Antonio Calanducci

Jun 28, 2016, 2:37:46 AM6/28/16
to Cappuccino & Objective-J, cappu...@esoteritech.com
Thanks Keary.

This is interesting? Is your library public available or if not, can you share some details/hints on how can I build such a library by myself?
I don't use BBEdit, but I was accustomed to use TextMate, the free version of BBEdit, that maybe has the same extensibility architecture (I have to double check).
Thanks

Antonio Calanducci

Jun 28, 2016, 2:39:02 AM6/28/16
to Cappuccino & Objective-J, cappu...@esoteritech.com
I wrote TextMate, but I was referring to TextWrangler of course. Sorry for the mistake...

Antonio Calanducci

Jun 28, 2016, 2:49:01 AM6/28/16
to Cappuccino & Objective-J, cappu...@esoteritech.com
Did you use BBAutoComplete ?