Contributing

Keary Suska

Jan 25, 2018, 7:16:55 PM1/25/18
to objec...@googlegroups.com
I am sorry I am at a loss. Are pull requests always cumulative? That is, I can’t seem to issue a new pull request that doesn’t include commits from a previous pull request. If this is true, it would mean that I can’t submit more than one pull request at a time, which seems crazy and unproductive. What am I missing?

TIA,

Keary Suska
Esoteritech, Inc.

Martin Carlberg

Jan 26, 2018, 3:18:29 AM1/26/18
to objec...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

This is a known problem with Github. If you search on http://google.com you will find a lot of discussions about this. It seams they are aware of this and hopefully they will make better support in the future.

I usually do each pull request from the master branch. On the ones that depend on another pull request I write in the comments that this depend on #XXXX. The test cases will fail on the pull requests (if test cases are included) but this is ok. When the first pull request in merged into master we can just rerun the tests on the next pull request. We continue like that until all are merged.

This is not a perfect solution but it usually work pretty well.

- Martin

Keary Suska

Jan 26, 2018, 10:56:33 AM1/26/18
to objec...@googlegroups.com
That’s what I tried first, I think, but I thought I had it wrong. My process was: branch “Fix A” -> commit -> merge master -> pull request Master/Master; then branch “Fix B” -> commit -> merge master -> pull (now includes Fix A as well). So I tried instead to not merge into master, and compare to branch, but that didn’t work either. Same result. It might work if I pre-make X branches from the same commit point but that just seems crazy.

Or is there something I am missing? Please keep in mind I am a GitHub idiot and a git noob ;-)

Keary Suska
Esoteritech, Inc.