Program Comprehension Experiment - Recruitment

héctor

Jul 11, 2016, 12:22:43 PM7/11/16
to object-composition

Hi everyone,

I am running an experiment to compare DCI with classical OO as a part of my master degree thesis. I am comparing trygve language with java language in equivalent system examples. This is more like a pilot experiment because I plan to enhance the experimental design in a new replication. Anyway, it would be very helpful if some DCI aware people join as participants.

Because the experiment takes time, there is a U$S 30 gift card reward that my advisor offers for those who finish the experiment. Up to now, the average time spent by subjects is 51 min of code reading time. There is a training mode that takes 15 minutes more, and a training tutorial document on how to read DCI that would take another 15 minutes. As in this group people already know DCI-trygve, I think the training time will be much lower.

If you are interested, please fill out the background experience form following the link http://45.55.154.218/ After you submit your registration I will send you an email with your credentials to log in into the website to run the experiment. We will take only four participants for now. As we are running out of time, you will have 5 days to register and finish the experiment.

I realized that getting clear and healthy data from human behavior is hard. The development and running of the experiment has not been easy but I still think it is worth to get the data and I am optimistic whatever the resulting data are. I know this is a small contribution to understand DCI and programming in general.

Thanks for reading,

Héctor

héctor

Jul 11, 2016, 5:34:02 PM7/11/16
to object-composition
I forgot to add part of the recruitment speech:

All responses will be kept confidential and are for research purposes only. All information you submit is stored anonymously by numbers. These numbers will not be linked back to individual participants and only anonymous and aggregated information will be released. In the event an individual response is made public, it will have no identifiable information. By participating int the experiment you are giving consent for your anonymous responses to be used in this research.

If you have questions, concerns, or complaints about this study or you want to get additional information or provide input about this research, please contact master student Héctor A. Valdecantos (hav...@rit.edu) or  Dr. Mehdi Mirakhorli (mxm...@rit.edu). If you have questions about your rights as a research subject you may contact Heather, RIT’s Associate Director of Human Subjects Research Office (HSRO) at (585) 475-7673 or by email at hmf...@rit.edu. You may also contact RIT’s Office of Research Protections if:
- Your questions, concerns, or complaints are not being answered by the research team.
- You cannot reach the research team.
- You want to talk to someone besides the research team.

Thanks,

Héctor A. Valdecantos.

héctor

Jul 16, 2016, 12:30:21 AM7/16/16
to object-composition
Just wanted to let you know that the experiment will be open till next Monday (July 18th). I plan to have the results by early August to share with you.

Thanks, have a great weekend,

Héctor

héctor

Sep 19, 2016, 8:56:23 PM9/19/16
to object-composition

Hi everyone,

I am sharing my thesis [1] where you can find the results of the program comprehension experiment I've run. Hope you find it interesting.

Kind regards,

héctor

[1] https://goo.gl/Tetkk5

Hai Quang Kim

Sep 19, 2016, 10:25:04 PM9/19/16
to object-composition
Hi Hector,

Thank you very much for sharing.
Good to see DCI/trygve started to take off in both practical and academy fields.

/quang