[book] creativity inc

Hai Quang Kim

May 9, 2016, 11:13:47 PM5/9/16
to object-composition
This book looks like a good read.

http://www.amazon.com/Creativity-Inc-Overcoming-Unseen-Inspiration/dp/0812993012

One thing I learn from the book that might be good metaphor  DCI.

Organizational structure (Domain hierarchy) vs Communication Structure (Interaction)

Objects belongs to two structures just like human in an organization.

It took the author decades to realize that they have to separate the two structures to understand each of them and have a proper solutions for each of them.

Every time I do classic OOP, I feel exactly the same issue.
I have to make sure the class hierarchy work and as the same time I have to make sure the communication make sense by routing the message along the hierarchy path.

/quang

James O Coplien

May 10, 2016, 4:50:50 PM5/10/16
to object-co...@googlegroups.com

On 10 May 2016, at 05:13, Hai Quang Kim <wan...@gmail.com> wrote:

Organizational structure (Domain hierarchy) vs Communication Structure (Interaction)

In the application of anthropology to organisations, this is called the difference between the formal organisation and the instrumental organisation.

Neil Harrison and I wrote a book based on decade of studying instrumental organisations world-wide. We used role-based modeling and a tool that visualised the interaction networks between roles. The tool is still around, in its third generation, and it still sees use now and then.

(You’ll recognize the book’s cover:

Hai Quang Kim

May 10, 2016, 9:57:26 PM5/10/16
to object-composition
http://www.encyclopedia.com/doc/1O88-expressivetisndnstrmntlts.html

"expressive ties and instrumental ties A distinction sometimes employed to characterize social relationships considered to be an end in themselves as against those which are goal-oriented. Thus, for example, expressive ties involve a commitment to the other person, arising perhaps out of kinship or feelings of love, whereas instrumental ties involve co-operation merely in order to achieve some limited and immediate goal (such as the relationship between doctor and patient)."

So we can consider class hierarchy is expressive ties. (commitment )
And Role Interaction is instrumental ties. (immediate goal)

/quang