Women in tech

Joseph Barney

Dec 17, 2014, 10:30:31 PM12/17/14
to oa...@googlegroups.com
http://www.globalfundforwomen.org/be-the-spark

Shouldn't we recruit more women? Anyone know any females interested in
Linux, professional or otherwise? They in turn could recruit guys and
gals. It's not just what you know but who you know.

Joe

jerrick Davis

Dec 18, 2014, 11:18:17 AM12/18/14
to oa...@googlegroups.com
In the MLH (Major League Hackathons, who runs all the competitive events like Mhacks) we push incredibly hard to recruit young women. This younger generation of code monkeys is much more diverse and accepting than previous ones but the main challenge will be opening up managers to hiring anything other than the stereo type white or Asian male programmer

Tristan Rhodes

Dec 18, 2014, 12:56:56 PM12/18/14
to oa...@googlegroups.com
Did someone say CodeMonkey? http://www.playcodemonkey.com/

My 7-year old daughter is currently on level 45.  I'm a proud dad.  :)

Tristan

On Thu, Dec 18, 2014 at 9:18 AM, jerrick Davis <lama...@gmail.com> wrote:
In the MLH (Major League Hackathons, who runs all the competitive events like Mhacks) we push incredibly hard to recruit young women. This younger generation of code monkeys is much more diverse and accepting than previous ones but the main challenge will be opening up managers to hiring anything other than the stereo type white or Asian male programmer

Site: http://www.oalug.com

jerrick Davis

Dec 18, 2014, 1:36:40 PM12/18/14
to oa...@googlegroups.com
Tristan you literally just saved my life with that link my neighbour has been looking for a way for his son to start coding!

Joseph Barney

Dec 18, 2014, 1:38:39 PM12/18/14
to oa...@googlegroups.com
That's awesome!! Congrats!

Joseph Barney

Dec 18, 2014, 1:41:18 PM12/18/14
to oa...@googlegroups.com
Hmmmm I dunno how to do that other than inviting managers to a hackathon so they can see the talent. Maybe recording it and showing parts of the video at certain events? That's a tough one.

Phil Gilmore

Dec 19, 2014, 11:36:03 AM12/19/14
to oa...@googlegroups.com
Also try codecombat.com.