OALUG Meeting for August 26th, 2015

mi...@theadamsresidence.net

Aug 24, 2015, 2:06:29 AM8/24/15
to oa...@googlegroups.com
Hey Folks!

I am pleased to announce that the August meeting of OALUG will have two presentations: "Disk Partitions and Partitioning with GNU parted" and "Writing Custom Wireshark Dissectors in LUA".

Time: 7pm to 9pm MT, Aug. 26th 2015.
Location: Startup Ogden Board Room (Map: https://goo.gl/bCa1Ep)
* Do NOT park in the Recreation Outlet Spaces.
* Do park in the Zions spaces.
* Do arrive early. :)

Food: Pizza and Soda
(Please RSVP via email or by filling out the form: http://goo.gl/forms/AxIuuyz81B )

We are currently looking for presentations after September. There is also a need for a 101 presentation in September.

**Presentation details**

Writing Custom Wireshark Dissectors in Lua by Erik Johnson

Wireshark is one of the most popular open-source network protocol analyzer
software available for Windows and Unix/Linux.
It offers a multitude of built in "dissector" plugins which allow for
decoding various wire protocols, with the option to write a custom plugin
in either C or Lua to support decoding additional protocols. This talk will
introduce the basics of how to get started with the Lua version
using Wireshark's built in Lua interpreter.

OALUG 101: Disk Partitions and Partitioning with GNU parted by Mike Adams

Ever wonder what a logical partition is? Why do the BSD people talk about slices? How to take advantage of more then 2TB of disk space? This 20-30 minute presentation will discuss what a partition scheme is, what partitions are and how to create/modify/remove them using the GNU parted program.

This will be the first time we will be splitting the evening between to presentations and the start of the OALUG 101 series.

The OALUG 101 series is going to be 30-45 minutes at the start of the meeting for "fundamental" material. Example topics would include:

* Using SSH
* What is X?
* Using vi/VIM
* Disk partitions and partitioning with parted
* Configuring IPv4 Networking
* Configuring IPv6 Networking
* Adding/Changing/Modifying Users and Groups

The hope is that new Linux users will find this helpful and maybe even seasoned hands will learn something new. Given the nature of the material and short time frame this is a great start for people interested in putting together presentations but with little experience or time.

Volunteers, suggestions and requests for the OALUG 101 series are gladly accepted. :)

I hope to see you all there,

- Mike