Di Malam Sepi, Aku Bermimpi

Lawrence D'Oliveiro

Dec 26, 2010, 6:56:56 PM12/26/10
So, it was Prince Tui Teka who stole the tune from “Mimpi Sedih” for “E
Ipo”.

David

Dec 26, 2010, 8:35:02 PM12/26/10
On Dec 27, 12:56 pm, Lawrence D'Oliveiro <l...@geek-

central.gen.new_zealand> wrote:
> So, it was Prince Tui Teka who stole the tune from “Mimpi Sedih” for “E
> Ipo”.

I always thought that Ngoingoi Pewairangi composed E Ipo...

Lawrence D'Oliveiro

Dec 27, 2010, 1:07:25 AM12/27/10
In message
<b1ce636c-5714-4df8...@a28g2000prb.googlegroups.com>, David
wrote:

You mean wrote the lyrics?

David

Dec 27, 2010, 11:39:03 AM12/27/10
On Dec 27, 7:07 pm, Lawrence D'Oliveiro <l...@geek-
central.gen.new_zealand> wrote:
> In message
> <b1ce636c-5714-4df8-9faf-2f911bfad...@a28g2000prb.googlegroups.com>, David

Well yes.... it was a coda going back to Ngata to write
waiata to current popular toons... Melbourne's 'Pipi pipi
manu e' is a classic of the genre...

So Ngoi wrote e Ipo in 1984 b4 the advent of google-
so how did she access an Indonesian toon?

huh?

-D.

btw... happy new year 2b....

David

Dec 27, 2010, 11:56:57 AM12/27/10

Ok... played it on U-toob....
exactly the same song...

did the Indonesians lift it from Tui Teka?

mo koe.... here is one I composed recently...
shamelessly lifting the toon....

Atarina,
ata reka
ia po. ia po,
ka ngaromia...

moemoea ai
mata ura
ko te ngakau puti pai
Atarina.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zz8yNa4uZN0

-D.

Lawrence D'Oliveiro

Dec 27, 2010, 5:57:09 PM12/27/10
In message
<65fa979a-5a9b-4859...@q8g2000prm.googlegroups.com>, David
wrote:

> did the Indonesians lift it from Tui Teka?

Considering we had it in the 1970s, and Tui Teka didn’t record it until the
1980s, I don’t think so.

Mo

Dec 28, 2010, 5:15:07 AM12/28/10
On Dec 28, 11:57 am, Lawrence D'Oliveiro <l...@geek-
central.gen.new_zealand> wrote:
> In message
> <65fa979a-5a9b-4859-b853-66aaa2598...@q8g2000prm.googlegroups.com>, David

> wrote:
>
> > did the Indonesians lift it from Tui Teka?
>
> Considering we had it in the 1970s, and Tui Teka didn’t record it until the
> 1980s, I don’t think so.

Here's a clip of the song by the Indonesian group Mimpi Sedih. Their
version (it looks like it's their tune) is beautiful...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e4FQV7P75SA

But then Prince Tui takes it to a whole new level...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ht96fzORm8w&feature=related

And this version, where Prince Tui and his wife sing to their mothers
on his wonderful TV show from 1982...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Dl8V_Ie6WE

Another excellent New Zealand version, this time by Ardijah...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ft4Ji2Clfrc&NR=1

Billy T James singing "E Ipo"....
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ICXQzv9jm3Y&feature=related

And a quite lovely version by Jake (the Muss) Heke...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6AJGnFStuYw&feature=related

Katipo

Dec 28, 2010, 7:05:21 AM12/28/10
>"Lawrence D'Oliveiro" wrote in message

>So, it was Prince Tui Teka who stole the tune from “Mimpi Sedih” for “E
> Ipo”.

E Ipo is an awesome song but this does not surprise me. Back in the 80s
another Maori singer Dean Waratene was making money out of adding maori
lyrics to other people's tunes. His best known work was The Bridge, maori
lyrics added to the wonderful tune El Silenzio