The best Browser

ChristianKnight

Jan 29, 2011, 7:53:21 PM1/29/11
Which is best / Opera, Explorer? Firefox or Google Chrome?.
I'm with Google Chrome now and loving the instant spell checker on
every word written.

John Cawston

Jan 29, 2011, 7:57:34 PM1/29/11

All good enough. I like Firefox because it seems to be more secure than
Explorer and has thousands of Add-ons.

JC

Miche

Jan 29, 2011, 7:59:25 PM1/29/11
In article
<e6e3b862-5b6f-492c...@k14g2000pre.googlegroups.com>,
ChristianKnight <Christian...@operamail.com> wrote:

The best browser is the one you like best. Different people prefer
different things.

Personally I wouldn't touch Internet Explorer with a barge pole, but
other people like it.

Miche

--
Electricians do it in three phases

John Cawston

Jan 29, 2011, 8:05:13 PM1/29/11

The other one I use and like is K-Meleon.. very simple, does all you
need and doesn't hog space.

JC

> JC

ChristianKnight

Jan 29, 2011, 8:14:41 PM1/29/11

I have Firefox on my MINT Linux operating system and have no
complaints.
Christ's love

ChristianKnight

Jan 29, 2011, 8:16:11 PM1/29/11
On Jan 30, 1:59 pm, Miche <michei...@gmail.com> wrote:
> In article
> <e6e3b862-5b6f-492c-be2d-158948c96...@k14g2000pre.googlegroups.com>,

>  ChristianKnight <ChristianKnight...@operamail.com> wrote:
> > Which is best / Opera, Explorer? Firefox or Google Chrome?.
> > I'm with Google Chrome now and loving the instant spell checker on
> > every word written.
>
> The best browser is the one you like best.  Different people prefer
> different things.
>
> Personally I wouldn't touch Internet Explorer with a barge pole, but
> other people like it.
>
> Miche
>
> --
> Electricians do it in three phases

Speed , Youtube, and spell checker. They are the most important to me.
Christ's love

timbochov

Jan 29, 2011, 9:20:38 PM1/29/11
On Jan 29, 4:53 pm, ChristianKnight <ChristianKnight...@operamail.com>
wrote:

> Which is best / Opera, Explorer? Firefox or Google Chrome?.
> I'm with Google Chrome now and loving the instant spell checker on
> every word written.

Safari for me.

Dave Doe

Jan 29, 2011, 10:23:36 PM1/29/11
In article <ii2d25$m5d$2...@news.eternal-september.org>,
rewa...@ihug.co.nz, John Cawston says...

Not sure where you heard that. IE is currently the most secure browser
- I think Firefox near topped the list for the *least* secure a little
while back - Google Chrome beat it (which is what I usually use). :)

--
Duncan.

Dave Doe

Jan 29, 2011, 10:32:52 PM1/29/11
In article <MPG.27afa0e4c...@news.eternal-september.org>,
ha...@work.ok, Dave Doe says...

Here's an independant crowd...

http://www.nsslabs.com/research/endpoint-security/browser-security/

--
Duncan.

oiltroll

Jan 29, 2011, 10:42:58 PM1/29/11
ChristianKnight wrote:

Its one long hot summer and you are talking browsing, mate! You'll
find tons of stuff to browser if you take a walk.

Malcolm Moore

Jan 29, 2011, 10:44:23 PM1/29/11

Not everyone agrees with your definition of independent

http://www.google.co.nz/search?q=nss+labs+microsoft&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&aq=t&rls=org.mozilla:en-GB:official&client=firefox-a

--
Regards
Malcolm

Message has been deleted

Fred

Jan 29, 2011, 10:53:25 PM1/29/11

IE 8 - also has best favourites/bookmarks system That's what lets chrome
down.

Fred

Jan 29, 2011, 10:54:56 PM1/29/11

Why do you need a spell checker for a browser?

Message has been deleted

Donchano

Jan 29, 2011, 10:58:50 PM1/29/11

On Sun, 30 Jan 2011 13:59:25 +1300, Miche <mich...@gmail.com>
shouted from the highest rooftop:

I agree with Miche on both points and wouldn't touch IE. So I use
Firefox for everyday use, but Google Chrome for things like television
on demand because streaming video seems to work much, much better on
Chrome.

Donchano

Jan 29, 2011, 11:00:50 PM1/29/11

On Sun, 30 Jan 2011 16:54:56 +1300, "Fred" <r...@parachute.net.nz>

shouted from the highest rooftop:

>ChristianKnight wrote:

Forms. Feedback. Webmail, etc, etc, etc.

WorkHard

Jan 29, 2011, 11:49:25 PM1/29/11

On behalf of Whoisthis and Scooter.... take your computer talk to
nz.comp!

LOL

Message has been deleted
Message has been deleted
Message has been deleted

colp

Jan 30, 2011, 2:48:35 AM1/30/11
On Jan 30, 4:32 pm, Dave Doe <h...@work.ok> wrote:
> In article <MPG.27afa0e4cb21e21d989...@news.eternal-september.org>,
> h...@work.ok, Dave Doe says...
>

> > In article <ii2d25$m5...@news.eternal-september.org>,
> > rewar...@ihug.co.nz, John Cawston says...

> > > All good enough. I like Firefox because it seems to be more secure than
> > > Explorer and has thousands of Add-ons.
>
> > Not sure where you heard that.  IE is currently the most secure browser
> > - I think Firefox near topped the list for the *least* secure a little
> > while back - Google Chrome beat it (which is what I usually use). :)
>
> Here's an independant crowd...

Microsoft-sponsored means independent?

http://arstechnica.com/microsoft/news/2009/08/microsoft-sponsors-two-nss-reports-ie8-is-the-most-secure.ars

Internet Explorer has had 97 reports of vulnerabilities discovered in
the public without a patch. 21 were marked as moderately critical, 17
were marked as highly critical, and 12 were marked as extremely
critical.

Firefox has had 42 reports of vulnerabilities discovered in the public
without a patch. 11 were marked as moderately critical, 7 were marked
as highly critical, and 0 were marked as extremely critical.

Safari has had 4 reports of vulnerabilities discovered in the public
without a patch. 0 were marked as moderately critical, 2 were marked
as highly critical, and 0 were marked as extremely critical.

Opera has had 31 reports of vulnerabilities discovered in the public
without a patch. 10 were marked as moderately critical, 3 were marked
as highly critical, and 1 was marked as extremely critical.

http://www.webdevout.net/browser-security

Bret

Jan 30, 2011, 3:31:35 AM1/30/11

The OP is one of "yours" LOL

WorkHard

Jan 30, 2011, 4:11:49 AM1/30/11

What?

Dave Doe

Jan 30, 2011, 4:19:09 PM1/30/11
In article <ii2nbs$m4j$1...@news.eternal-september.org>,
r...@parachute.net.nz, Fred says...

I actually like Chrome's bookmark system. It's simple. The whole
browser is simple and uncluttered as a result. I hope the IE9 beta is a
reasonable reflection of what IE9 will be - as it's almost identical in
it's uncluttered look.

--
Duncan.

Dave Doe

Jan 30, 2011, 4:21:31 PM1/30/11
In article <qen9k69kfeeci15ub...@4ax.com>,
abor195...@yahoodagger.co.nz, Malcolm Moore says...

NSS is owned by MS? Are they unreliable or untrustworthy?

--
Duncan.

Dave Doe

Jan 30, 2011, 4:22:33 PM1/30/11
In article <0b86d8b5-4de2-4438-aae9-9332f6478d99
@y36g2000pra.googlegroups.com>, co...@solder.ath.cx, colp says...

> On Jan 30, 4:32ï¿œpm, Dave Doe <h...@work.ok> wrote:
> > In article <MPG.27afa0e4cb21e21d989...@news.eternal-september.org>,
> > h...@work.ok, Dave Doe says...
> >

> > > In article <ii2d25$m5...@news.eternal-september.org>,
> > > rewar...@ihug.co.nz, John Cawston says...

> > > Not sure where you heard that. ï¿œIE is currently the most secure browser

> > > - I think Firefox near topped the list for the *least* secure a little
> > > while back - Google Chrome beat it (which is what I usually use). :)
> >
> > Here's an independant crowd...
>
> Microsoft-sponsored means independent?
>
> http://arstechnica.com/microsoft/news/2009/08/microsoft-sponsors-two-nss-reports-ie8-is-the-most-secure.ars
>
> Internet Explorer has had 97 reports of vulnerabilities discovered in
> the public without a patch. 21 were marked as moderately critical, 17
> were marked as highly critical, and 12 were marked as extremely
> critical.
>
> Firefox has had 42 reports of vulnerabilities discovered in the public
> without a patch. 11 were marked as moderately critical, 7 were marked
> as highly critical, and 0 were marked as extremely critical.
>
> Safari has had 4 reports of vulnerabilities discovered in the public
> without a patch. 0 were marked as moderately critical, 2 were marked
> as highly critical, and 0 were marked as extremely critical.
>
> Opera has had 31 reports of vulnerabilities discovered in the public
> without a patch. 10 were marked as moderately critical, 3 were marked
> as highly critical, and 1 was marked as extremely critical.
>
> http://www.webdevout.net/browser-security

Unfortunately those tests are (admitted by the site) quite meaningless
as they include old versions of IE!

--
Duncan.

ChristianKnight

Jan 30, 2011, 5:04:21 PM1/30/11

I use Google groups that shows the news groups in the browser .
Christ's love

ChristianKnight

Jan 30, 2011, 5:11:10 PM1/30/11
On Jan 30, 4:56 pm, Sweetpea <Herit...@Sweetpea.com> wrote:
> MSIE is not available for your computer - it only works on computers with
> Micro$oft Windows software installed.
>
> --
> "Filtering the Internet is like trying to boil the ocean"

I have two computers . One with Windows and one with Linux.
You see Sweet Pea I am interested in advancing technological knowhow
Not a single companies top executives lifestyle.
I'm not against one or the other I wish to support those that give
freely their scientific endeavors.
Christ's love

Christ's love

ChristianKnight

Jan 30, 2011, 5:11:58 PM1/30/11
On Jan 30, 4:58 pm, Donchano <donch...@notachance.invalid> wrote:
> On Sun, 30 Jan 2011 13:59:25 +1300, Miche <michei...@gmail.com>

> shouted from the highest rooftop:
>
> >In article
> ><e6e3b862-5b6f-492c-be2d-158948c96...@k14g2000pre.googlegroups.com>,

> > ChristianKnight <ChristianKnight...@operamail.com> wrote:
>
> >> Which is best / Opera, Explorer? Firefox or Google Chrome?.
> >> I'm with Google Chrome now and loving the instant spell checker on
> >> every word written.
>
> >The best browser is the one you like best.  Different people prefer
> >different things.
>
> >Personally I wouldn't touch Internet Explorer with a barge pole, but
> >other people like it.
>
> >Miche
>
> I agree with Miche on both points and wouldn't touch IE. So I use
> Firefox for everyday use, but Google Chrome for things like television
> on demand because streaming video seems to work much, much better on
> Chrome.

I've noticed that.
Christ's love

ChristianKnight

Jan 30, 2011, 5:15:15 PM1/30/11

I'm sure I could do everything I have done in the last six months on
an apple computer.
Christ's love

ChristianKnight

Jan 30, 2011, 5:20:02 PM1/30/11

I cycled 14 km Thats 7 each way. Mobile phone Sports tracker revealed
I averaged 11 km per hour on the 40 minute return journey.
Since then playing the flute and Kinect table tennis has kept me
breathing.
Christ's love

ChristianKnight

Jan 30, 2011, 5:21:29 PM1/30/11
On Jan 30, 4:52 pm, Sweetpea <Herit...@Sweetpea.com> wrote:

> On Sat, 29 Jan 2011 16:53:21 -0800, ChristianKnight wrote:
> > Which is best / Opera, Explorer? Firefox or Google Chrome?. I'm with
> > Google Chrome now and loving the instant spell checker on every word
> > written.
>
> Firefox is the best, and it has an actual spelling checker so that you
> can check your words for spelling errors (rather than merely being able
> to check spells).

> --
> "Filtering the Internet is like trying to boil the ocean"

Is it automatic or do you have to ask it to because that makes a
difference when you think you have it right and don't
Christ's love

colp

Jan 30, 2011, 9:50:14 PM1/30/11
On Jan 31, 10:22 am, Dave Doe <h...@work.ok> wrote:
> In article <0b86d8b5-4de2-4438-aae9-9332f6478d99
> @y36g2000pra.googlegroups.com>, c...@solder.ath.cx, colp says...

> > On Jan 30, 4:32 pm, Dave Doe <h...@work.ok> wrote:
> > > In article <MPG.27afa0e4cb21e21d989...@news.eternal-september.org>,
> > > h...@work.ok, Dave Doe says...

> > > Here's an independant crowd...
>
> > Microsoft-sponsored means independent?

Why would you say that a Microsoft sponsored report is independent?

> >http://arstechnica.com/microsoft/news/2009/08/microsoft-sponsors-two-...

> > Internet Explorer has had 97 reports of vulnerabilities discovered in
> > the public without a patch. 21 were marked as moderately critical, 17
> > were marked as highly critical, and 12 were marked as extremely
> > critical.
>
> > Firefox has had 42 reports of vulnerabilities discovered in the public
> > without a patch. 11 were marked as moderately critical, 7 were marked
> > as highly critical, and 0 were marked as extremely critical.
>
> > Safari has had 4 reports of vulnerabilities discovered in the public
> > without a patch. 0 were marked as moderately critical, 2 were marked
> > as highly critical, and 0 were marked as extremely critical.
>
> > Opera has had 31 reports of vulnerabilities discovered in the public
> > without a patch. 10 were marked as moderately critical, 3 were marked
> > as highly critical, and 1 was marked as extremely critical.
>
> >http://www.webdevout.net/browser-security
>
> Unfortunately those tests are (admitted by the site) quite meaningless
> as they include old versions of IE!

I hope you used a glove when you pulled that factoid out of your arse.

First, the site doesn't say that the tests are meaningless, and second
the tests are not meaningless becuase (as at June 2010) IE 6 still had
a 17% market share.

Here's a more recent vulnerability list:

1. Chrome - 76

2. Safari - 60

3. Microsoft Office - 57

4. Adobe Acrobat -- 54

5. Mozilla Firefox -- 51

6. Sun JDK -- 36

7. Adobe Shockwave Player -- 35

8. Microsoft Internet Explorer -- 32

9. RealNetworks RealPlayer -- 14

10. Apple Webkit -- 9

11. Adobe Flash Player -- 8

12. Apple Quicktime and the Opera Web browser (tied) -- 6

http://www.networkworld.com/news/2010/111510-google-chrome-dirty-dozen.html

Message has been deleted

Supergoofy

Feb 5, 2011, 4:06:51 AM2/5/11
On 30/01/2011 1:57 p.m., John Cawston wrote:
> On Sunday, 30/Jan-2011 1:53 p.m., ChristianKnight wrote:
>> Which is best / Opera, Explorer? Firefox or Google Chrome?.
>> I'm with Google Chrome now and loving the instant spell checker on
>> every word written.
>
> All good enough. I like Firefox because it seems to be more secure than
> Explorer and has thousands of Add-ons.

I like Firefox, but find it quite slow to start up. I mostly use Chrome
at home and like it a lot (but I do have Firefox and IE8 installed
because they're useful occasionally).

Rachel

Miranda Hart Rox

Feb 5, 2011, 9:17:18 AM2/5/11

I use Chroma as well, have always hated IE as it does not look good nor
easy to get around, too many bells and whistles, Chrome is clean, sheek and
looks good, and very easy to use.
--
"I don't have to "try" Richard, nastiness and offensiveness
comes naturally to me. I actually have to concentrate and try

Lyndon Watson

Feb 5, 2011, 4:47:01 PM2/5/11
On Feb 5, 10:06 pm, Supergoofy <thunderbirds.ar...@penelope.net>
wrote:

I have dallied with IE, Firefox and Safari, but I return in the end to
Opera which works faster on my computer than the others and has a
cleaner, more X-windows and less Microsofty, appearance. The main
drawback is that it is a bit Nazi with sites that don't comply
strictly with HTML standards and I often end up stuck on a page with
the back-arrow not working.

I have four computers round the house -
1. A laptop running Windows 7 professional. This only ever connects
to the Internet using IE to file GST returns.
2. This PC running XP which is the one that I use for all other
Internet connections (and not much else).
3. My old pet Vax running version 7.something of VMS. I think it
still has Lynx and Mosaic and possibly Netscape on it, but it is for
writing and I never connect it to the Internet.
4. The fun machine - my old 8-bit computer from the 80s running CP/M
3 which is incapable of connection to the Internet.

LW

Message has been deleted
Message has been deleted
Message has been deleted
Message has been deleted

Dave Doe

Feb 5, 2011, 6:50:15 PM2/5/11
In article <l2krk65l9b6cpkt1p...@4ax.com>,
wbr...@yahoo.com, William Brown says...

> On Sat, 5 Feb 2011 22:12:13 +0000 (UTC), Boots
> <boots...@for.walking.com> wrote:
>
> >On Sat, 05 Feb 2011 22:06:51 +1300, Supergoofy wrote:
> >
> >> I like Firefox, but find it quite slow to start up. I mostly use Chrome
> >> at home and like it a lot (but I do have Firefox and IE8 installed
> >> because they're useful occasionally).
> >
> >I have Firefox and Konqueror installed. I prefer Firefox. There isn't a
> >version of MSIE available (MS used to have one available for Unix
> >machines until it deliberately made IE unavailable.)
> >
> >Firefox works very well.
>

> Yes using a Bad OS like Lunix does limit you chouses a lot, may be you
> should move from that Toy OS..

Not forgetting the few thousand Linux viruses!

--
Duncan.

Message has been deleted