Telecom Xtra Email

Captain Crotchrot

Dec 17, 2010, 5:08:28 AM12/17/10
Hulloo,

Just wondering...

Any of you running Vista 64bit and clients of Telecom's Xtra ISP
service, and having trouble getting your emails down just now
(17/12/10)? I am. Emails can be sent but not received.

The only change made to this machine recently was the usual weekly
Vista updates from MS. They were installed yesterday. Email was
working just fine prior to that.

Have tried contacting telecom's Xtra Helpdesk but all I got was a sexy
female robot who said they had a heavy workload and put me in the
queue - and left me there for 20 minutes before the phone went 'BEEP
BEEP BEEP' ad infinitum. Stood up by a robot - how bad can it get!!!

Just want to know if other Vista/Xtra users are similarly affected.
Either one of the latest Vista OS updates has cocked up the email
system on this machine, or Xtra's POP3 server is on the blink.

Have checked the email settings this end and all looks just fine.
Nothing has changed.

So, how is it for you?

Cheerio, Crotchrot

Dave Doe

Dec 17, 2010, 6:43:39 AM12/17/10
In article <fd10624a-7c09-401c-9f72-
afeb9c...@v17g2000prc.googlegroups.com>, moon_...@windowslive.com,
Captain Crotchrot says...

I doubt it's you. 3 folk today have been getting my emails and replying
to them all using Win7/64bit - 2 x Outlook, 1 x Live Mail. One of the
user's uses the 'standard' settings, the others use the secure port
setup.

Install the telnet client and test ...

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/196748

--
Duncan.

Captain Crotchrot

Dec 17, 2010, 6:46:51 AM12/17/10
On Dec 17, 11:08 pm, Captain Crotchrot <moon_ma...@windowslive.com>
wrote:

Hulloo again, Folks

Update: This glitch is indeed caused by one of the latest Vista
updates. Specifically the KB2412171 update for Outlook 2007.

For anyone interested, just Google 'KB2412171' for a slew relevant of
threads worldwide.

The Outlook crew are working on a fix. If you can't wait for that,
visit the following site for uninstall instructions.

http://www.officeforlawyers.com/outlook/tips/2412171.html

I've since uninstalled that particular update and everything is back
to normal.

Cheerio, Crotchrot

Gordon

Dec 17, 2010, 11:18:07 PM12/17/10
On 2010-12-17, Captain Crotchrot <moon_...@windowslive.com> wrote:
> On Dec 17, 11:08 pm, Captain Crotchrot <moon_ma...@windowslive.com>
> wrote:
[snip]

> Update: This glitch is indeed caused by one of the latest Vista
> updates. Specifically the KB2412171 update for Outlook 2007.
>
> For anyone interested, just Google 'KB2412171' for a slew relevant of
> threads worldwide.
>
> The Outlook crew are working on a fix.

Chalk please. Ms Soft is working on it, now?

> http://www.officeforlawyers.com/outlook/tips/2412171.html

Love those web site names.

Message has been deleted

Enkidu

Dec 18, 2010, 5:03:04 AM12/18/10
On 18/12/10 20:04, Sweetpea wrote:

> Lawyers, it seems, actually use the advanced features in office
> productivity suites. This is why lawyers generally settled on using
> WordPerfect. Certainly that was the case in the USA.
>
> MS for years was only rarely used by legal firms and MS therefore had to
> resort to what it knew best how to do with competitors - embrace, extend,
> extinguish.

Actually whoever owned Word Perfect at the time everyone was switching
to Windows versions of programs dropped the ball. People still talk
about how good WP5 was. The first version of WP for Windows was sooooooo
bad it killed WP. And it was late. MS had Word for Windows out well
before WP for Windows arrived on the scene.

Cheers,

Cliff

The end excuses any evil - Sophocles

Ron McNulty

Dec 20, 2010, 2:50:23 AM12/20/10
On Dec 18, 11:03 pm, Enkidu <enkidu....@com.cliffp.com> wrote:
>The first version of WP for Windows was sooooooo
> bad it killed WP. And it was late. MS had Word for Windows out well
> before WP for Windows arrived on the scene.

Yes, I have to agree. My wife tried to write a school history in WP
for Windows - one level of undo just sometimes undid the bugs, but
more frequently just crashed. We gave up and went to Word, and stayed
there.

Then there was the WP for Windows magazine. Someone wrote in asking
how to reproduce an effect from a page in the last addition. They had
to admit "although our jounalists use WP for Windows for most things
(yeah right), we actually publish using Quark on Macs..."

Regards

Ron

Allistar

Dec 20, 2010, 7:21:46 PM12/20/10
Ron McNulty wrote:

Which makes sense. WP isn't designed for pre-press in the way Quark is. It
doesn't deal with colour separations, trapping, CMYK, spot colour of the
other things required for pre-press.
--
A.

Message has been deleted