Any idea what this component is, bonus for spec sheet

David Neff

Dec 11, 2017, 10:28:56 AM12/11/17
to NYCResistor:Microcontrollers
I'm modifying an old Quantum battery 1 to use LiFePO4 batteries instead of Pb, working on figuring out what the old solid state circuit does and can't find any specs on these components. I'm assuming they are thermal switches. Anyone want to confirm? Anyone have access to a database of old obsolete parts that google doesn't see? Digikey, Mouser and Jamco weren't any help.

silkscreen on the tube seems to say SB610C92H

componentX-1000.jpg
componentX-1001.jpg

Eduardo Artigas

Dec 11, 2017, 11:45:48 AM12/11/17
to nycresistormi...@googlegroups.com
Made by Sylvania

On Mon, Dec 11, 2017 at 10:28 AM, David Neff <ne...@davepix.com> wrote:
I'm modifying an old Quantum battery 1 to use LiFePO4 batteries instead of Pb, working on figuring out what the old solid state circuit does and can't find any specs on these components. I'm assuming they are thermal switches. Anyone want to confirm? Anyone have access to a database of old obsolete parts that google doesn't see? Digikey, Mouser and Jamco weren't any help.

silkscreen on the tube seems to say SB610C92H

Gideon Hirschson

David Wong

Dec 11, 2017, 7:53:48 PM12/11/17
to nycresistormi...@googlegroups.com
I agree reed switch. Easy test is to connect it to meter and run a magnet over it. If switch closes it is a reed switch.

Sent using the free mail.com iPhone App

Glen Duncan

Dec 12, 2017, 1:42:28 PM12/12/17
to nycresistormi...@googlegroups.com
Agreed that it's a reed switch. The glass envelope is likely filled with an inert gas to prevent arcing.

On Mon, Dec 11, 2017 at 10:28 AM, David Neff <ne...@davepix.com> wrote:
I'm modifying an old Quantum battery 1 to use LiFePO4 batteries instead of Pb, working on figuring out what the old solid state circuit does and can't find any specs on these components. I'm assuming they are thermal switches. Anyone want to confirm? Anyone have access to a database of old obsolete parts that google doesn't see? Digikey, Mouser and Jamco weren't any help.

silkscreen on the tube seems to say SB610C92H

James Marquardt

Dec 14, 2017, 11:43:24 PM12/14/17
to nycresistormi...@googlegroups.com
NOPE!  Thats a self resetting circuit breaker/thermal overload switch.  I used them a lot at an alarm company I worked for.  TO test this, connect an ohmmeter on a low resistance scale to the leads of the switch.  take a hair dryer or heat gun ad warm the bulb up, but be careful not to blast the thing with hot air directly.  It should open up after a few seconds.

I do not recommend you short the thing across battery terminals as the arc will weld the contacts.

We used these to protect the alarm systems in case of high temperature environments.

Have not seen one of those in a long time.  Thanks for the memory.

JIm

On Tue, Dec 12, 2017 at 1:42 PM, Glen Duncan <play...@gmail.com> wrote:
Agreed that it's a reed switch. The glass envelope is likely filled with an inert gas to prevent arcing.
On Mon, Dec 11, 2017 at 10:28 AM, David Neff <ne...@davepix.com> wrote:
I'm modifying an old Quantum battery 1 to use LiFePO4 batteries instead of Pb, working on figuring out what the old solid state circuit does and can't find any specs on these components. I'm assuming they are thermal switches. Anyone want to confirm? Anyone have access to a database of old obsolete parts that google doesn't see? Digikey, Mouser and Jamco weren't any help.

silkscreen on the tube seems to say SB610C92H

David Neff

Dec 15, 2017, 9:45:09 AM12/15/17
to NYCResistor:Microcontrollers
Thanks for the reply Jim.

Curious about it's application where I found it. It is part of a Quantum 1 battery pack used for hand held or "on camera" flash units and designed in the 80's.

It is in a circuit between 6V of D cells and a flash unit designed for 6V of AA cells. My assumption is it is there to protect the flash from overheating as it recycles faster, can fire more frequently and for a longer period of time using the Quantum than just using AA cells.

That said, I'd assumed it would heat up itself from over current over time and open to protect the flash as opposed to open from heating up the battery pack. After all, D Pb batteries don't heat up much under any circumstance.

I'm replacing the Pb cells with LiFePO4 and thought I should understand the circuit a bit if I reuse it.

David

On Thursday, December 14, 2017 at 11:43:24 PM UTC-5, James Marquardt wrote:
[...]

James Marquardt

Dec 16, 2017, 10:34:08 AM12/16/17
to nycresistormi...@googlegroups.com
You cannot simply drop Lithium cells in place of Pb or NiMh, Alkaline.  Litium batteries are dangerous if not used properly.  can you post a model number of this device you are working with?  I could look it up and see if there is anything glaring you should watch out for.  Also the part number for the Lithium cells too.

The thermal circuit breaker is used as a time delay breaker.  Much like the special breakers used in standard electrical boxes for heavy electrical motors that have a large current draw briefly upon startup, but level off.  The device in your picture will not 'open' instantly, but maybe several milliseconds later as there is a large capacitor in your flash unit that acts as a dead short during initial charge.

JIm

On Fri, Dec 15, 2017 at 9:45 AM, David Neff <ne...@davepix.com> wrote:
[...]

David Neff

Feb 11, 2018, 8:08:01 PM2/11/18
to NYCResistor:Microcontrollers
Thanks again for the note Jim, been away from projects for a bit. Silkscreen on the tube seems to say SB610C92H.

Your assessment matches the use of the device well. It is used with on camera flash units which can only be cycled so many times per minute before they overheat. It wasn't a problem much when these were designed as you would run out of film after 36 exposures giving the flash time to cool and the PB battery, D cells, though faster than the internal AA's they replaced when in use, still had limitations on recycle. On the other hand, a set of A123's could melt down the unit much easier making these thermal breakers much more likely to be tripped.

The device ad a Quantum 1 battery or a quantum 2. I'm planning on putting in a pair of LiFePO4's to replace the 4 PB-D cells and I'll add balance wiring to use a balance charger. There's a fuse inside the quantum in addition to the thermal breakers. Charge circuit was handled by the external charger, it just has a connector which disables use while charging.
Visit this group at https://groups.google.com/group/nycresistormicrocontrollers.

James Marquardt

Feb 12, 2018, 9:39:24 PM2/12/18
to nycresistormi...@googlegroups.com
You might want to look at Hobby King for your battery pack to replace what is inside your unit.  I use their kits all the time and you can get the proper charger from them as well.

I cannot suggest strongly enough to be very careful on this.

Jim

Visit this group at https://groups.google.com/group/nycresistormicrocontrollers.