Picking 2mm header / contact family

Chris Stratton

Nov 7, 2016, 4:44:37 PM11/7/16
to nycresistormi...@googlegroups.com
Hi all, wondering if I could solicit opinions on the 2mm pitch header
/ contact family that most effectively fulfills the role of the garden
variety molex or (probably misnamed) "dupont" 0.1 inch ones at a
slightly more compact scale:

Basically I'm looking for something that

- Comes in at least straight and right angle through hole headers.
Shrouds unnecessary, would almost prefer a classic snappable strip of
pins without

- Contact housings readily available in single-row varieties,
surprisingly some families seem hard to source except in double row
versions

- Contacts can be crimped with a fairly generic ratcheting crimper
tool, not a $1500 brand unique one

- Contacts ideally enclose all sides and do not depend on the housing
to function, such that single-wire connections can be prepared by just
putting heat shrink over the contact without a formal housing.

Finding 2mm pitch 0.5mm dia square headers has not been a problem -
just sent a board design using them to the fab. The challenge is I
now have about a week to source contacts and housings to make all the
wiring harnesses to use with it, and am yet to find any that stand out
as a better choice than the others, particularly with regard to the
enclose-all-sides and generic-crimper goals.

Any thoughts, or even better, experiences?

Chris