Buy bare Fiber in NYC?

Matthew Arcidy

Jul 5, 2017, 10:46:52 AM7/5/17
to NYCResistor:Microcontrollers
Hi,

Does anyone know where I can buy bare fiber in NYC?  Just trying to run through some LED light for wearable.

I don't have an issue ordering some on-line, but I prefer to pick up from an actual store.

Thanks,
Matt

James Marquardt

Jul 5, 2017, 12:53:48 PM7/5/17
to nycresistormi...@googlegroups.com
You could try MicroCenter in Brooklyn, but I would doubt they have it.  I just looked and everything I have here is jacketed

Jim

Matthew Arcidy

Jul 6, 2017, 9:29:04 AM7/6/17
to NYCResistor:Microcontrollers
Thanks, yeah, they don't have it, just filament. I tried Tinkerspace too, and they don't either, though they do have light wire.

Thanks for the help, guess I'll be ordering online.

Matt Joyce

Jul 6, 2017, 9:32:22 AM7/6/17
to nycresistormi...@googlegroups.com
There used to be a place on the west side in manhattan in like the early fifties or high 40s that did custom cable builds... cannot for the life of me remember their name and my info here is like a decade old.  but my guess is someone ( probably them ) is still making custom cables on demand.  They did custom fiber cables... so they probably have some bare fiber.

I do caution... that shit is dangerous as hell if worked with in the wrong environment without the right tools.

-Matt

On Thu, Jul 6, 2017 at 9:29 AM, Matthew Arcidy <mar...@gmail.com> wrote:
Thanks, yeah, they don't have it, just filament.  I tried Tinkerspace too, and they don't either, though they do have light wire.

Thanks for the help, guess I'll be ordering online.

Mike Boracci

Jul 6, 2017, 11:08:50 AM7/6/17
to nycresistormi...@googlegroups.com

Yeah you don't want to get a piece of fiber in your skin.

I like the coated plastic fiber that is used for SPDIF cables. Piece of cake to work with.

http://i-fiberoptics.com/eska.php?gclid=Cj0KEQjwv_fKBRCG8a3ao-OQuZ8BEiQAvpHp6MRM1ke1hr7OgpCJ5BvLNU15BRJ_4Xs3-LukEnVcd6caArlX8P8HAQ

Mike

Doug Brantner

Jul 6, 2017, 7:39:55 PM7/6/17
to nycresistormi...@googlegroups.com
Hey-

Sorry this is non-local but I’ve been ordering from here for work, and they ship pretty quick:

They have uncoated & coated plastic fiber which I assume (?) is relatively safe.

As far as the danger of fiber, are you guys talking about glass fiber? I imagine that’s not fun to get cut with…

-Doug

Matt Joyce

Nick Vermeer

Jul 8, 2017, 1:33:13 PM7/8/17
to nycresistormi...@googlegroups.com
Just an fyi, If you are playing with unjacketed fiber, use POF (Plastic optical fiber) unless you are specifically building something that needs glass fiber. If you are unsure, then you almost certainly don't need a glass fiber.

Mike Boracci

Jul 8, 2017, 1:58:15 PM7/8/17
to nycresistormi...@googlegroups.com

I would like to know If anyone has seen large diameter plastic fiber for optical stuff. I want to make a large optical spray for a dance club. I mean really large. I'll either go cheap and use a color wheel or use rgb LEDs on each strand and control them.

Any Ideas?

Mike

Nick Vermeer

Jul 8, 2017, 3:42:12 PM7/8/17
to nycresistormi...@googlegroups.com
Yes? What diameter are you looking for. I've used 1mm and 3mm. You can also buy it bundled with many strands bound into a single ferrule.

Matthew Arcidy

Jul 9, 2017, 1:14:50 PM7/9/17
to nycresistormi...@googlegroups.com
More than helpful everyone, many thanks!

You received this message because you are subscribed to a topic in the Google Groups "NYCResistor:Microcontrollers" group.