Open Call Art-A-Hack 2016 Please distrbute

Ellen Pearlman

Apr 3, 2016, 12:09:43 AM4/3/16
to NYCResistor:Microcontrollers

Call for Participation: Art-A-Hack™ Summer 2016

Announcing Art-A-Hack™ 3 - a collaborative creation between groups of artists/engineers, designers/makers, or whatever combination arises based on your project proposals. This year our partner is Integrated Digital Media of the NYU Tandon School of Engineering.

The first two years of Art-A-Hack included inventions, installations, collaborations, performances. This year promises more fantastic opportunities.

Are you interested in taking part? To apply now, please read the Open Call below and send your ideas tocall...@artahack.io. We really want to work with you! However, please don't send an application if you can not commit to the dates of June 11, 18, 25, July 9 and July 15.

The deadline for applications is Monday April 18 - early applications are appreciated.

Open Call

Here's the deal: we will provide space for four Saturdays (10am-6pm) in June and July, equipment, facilitation and advice, and stellar showcase opportunities.

We want to hear your ideas and will team you up with like-minded souls, blasting off into the stratosphere together.

During four Saturdays (June 11, 18, 25 & July 9) we will co-create at ThoughtWorks New York, and NYU Tandon. There will be a pre-event social on the evening of Wednesday, June 8, as well as a well-earned closing party July 15 to present your final work, chat, network and land back on the planet.

How to apply

To apply, send your ideas now to call...@artahack.io. Describe a project idea you want to try, the technologies you'd like to get into, or the skills you have to contribute.

  • Please include info about your background you would like us to know about
  • If you can program, please tell us what languages you work with
  • If you can't program but are are an artist, let us know what you are thinking about creating
  • If there are social issues you are interested in, and would like to highlight those with tech, let us know
  • Please confirm that you are available for the dates listed below

When we receive your applications, we will match you up with others who have complementary skills. This will help you all achieve something together as a team.

This process is quite ad-hoc, and depends entirely on the mix of applications we receive. Each year we group people together around the most compelling ideas. This means your idea may not be selected, but you may be invited to participate nevertheless. Because we prioritize the creation of awesome teams with complementary skills and ideas, sometimes we can’t find the correct match for your background.

Dates for your calendar

Here's a list of scheduled dates to mark off in your calendars. Please make sure if you are going to apply that you are available for all of the listed dates!

  • April 18 (midnight)— Deadline for applications
  • June 8 (6pm-9pm)— Pre-event Social
  • June 11 (10am-6pm)— Co-creation Day 1
  • June 18 (10am-6pm)— Co-creation Day 2
  • June 25 (10am-6pm)— Co-creation Day 3
  • July 9 (10am-6pm)— Co-creation Day 4
  • July 15 (6pm-10pm)— Presentation at ThoughtWorks and/or NYU Tandon

    Stuff we have on-site, just for the asking:

    • Oculus Rift
    • Leap Motion
    • Muse Headset
    • OpenBCI
    • RGBDToolkit (for Xtion, Kinect 1 & Kinect 2)
    • Kinect
    • Asus Xtion
    • Webcams
    • Raspberry Pi