Re: [NYCR:Microcontrollers] Abridged summary of nycresistormicrocontrollers@googlegroups.com - 5 updates in 1 topic

Geraldine Erman

Jul 11, 2017, 9:59:10 AM7/11/17
to nycresistormi...@googlegroups.com
What about Full Spectrum? Somewhat difficult to set up, but we have a 36" where I teach and it's been very dependable/ much less expensive that's the Epilog,...

On Tuesday, July 11, 2017, <nycresistormi...@googlegroups.com> wrote:
Blair Neal <laser...@gmail.com>: Jul 10 09:43AM -0700

Hey all -

I thought about jumping on the thread from the other day about laser
cutters, but figured it would be better to start my own.

I'm looking to get a smallish laser cutter for my ...more
Matt Joyce <mdj...@gmail.com>: Jul 10 01:00PM -0400

We have routinely gone with epilog at resistor, almost entirely because of
ease of use. The drivers for epilog are second to none, and that makes
usability on it incredibly easy by comparison to ...more
Anders Nelson <anders....@gmail.com>: Jul 10 01:11PM -0400

Noisebridge in San Francisco has a Kaitian laser and it's enormous:

https://www.noisebridge.net/wiki/Laser_Cutter/Kaitian_CM1309

IMHO it has great software, the physical machine is easy to use ...more
Matt Joyce <mdj...@gmail.com>: Jul 10 01:13PM -0400

Sound insulation is a great point. Lasers + ventilation gear == loud.

On Mon, Jul 10, 2017 at 1:11 PM, Anders Nelson <anders....@gmail.com>
wrote:

...more
Anders Nelson <anders....@gmail.com>: Jul 10 01:17PM -0400

One could certainly make a plywood box with sound insulating tiles for the
machine to sit in:

https://www.amazon.com/12-Pack-Acoustic-Panels-Studio/dp/B00TP7C9YY/

=]

--
Anders Nelson
...more

Matt Joyce

Jul 11, 2017, 10:17:58 AM7/11/17
to nycresistormi...@googlegroups.com
I've found the software on the full spectrum to be lacking.  That's just a personal opinion.

-Matt

On Tue, Jul 11, 2017 at 9:59 AM, Geraldine Erman <erm...@gmail.com> wrote:
What about Full Spectrum? Somewhat difficult to set up, but we have a 36" where I teach and it's been very dependable/ much less expensive that's the Epilog,...

jpbar...@aol.com

Jul 11, 2017, 11:23:41 AM7/11/17
to nycresistormi...@googlegroups.com
I'm an adjunct professor at Stevens in Hoboken and my robotics lab recently got a Full Spectrum laser.  I think it was about $4K and maybe about an 18" x 12" cutting area and 40W.  We had it running several hours a day for the last two semesters.

So far we only had to replace the tiny red sighting laser and we added a tiny fan blowing on the sighting laser.  Everything else seems fine.

The TAs arrange students' parts in AutoCAD from DXFs they generate from Solid Works and I believe the AutoCAD DXF gets loaded into the laser's software where they set power and feed rate.

We've been using it mostly for 1/8 to 1/4 bass or balsa wood, but we have cut some 1/8" acrylic also.

I guess the big question with the cheaper lasers is the quality of the laser tube and how long it will take for its power output to degrade.  Wouldn't it be nice if they all provided a ten year warrantee on the tube?

They should rename their laser from "Full Spectrum" to "10.6um + 735nm".

Joe