TechCrunch Disrupt/ Urban OS hackathon

Dawn Hayes

Apr 29, 2016, 11:22:32 AM4/29/16
to Hack Manhattan!, nycresistormi...@googlegroups.com, dev...@googlegroups.com
Hey All,

In the event that you will participate at Disrupt, I wanted to let you know about a city data hackathon in connection with Urban-X.

You can learn more here:
http://disruptny2016.devpost.com/details/urbanx

If you wanted to attend Disrupt but were unable to score tickets, you can still attend by applying to Urban OS.

Cheers,

-d

--
Stand. Don't let courage skip a generation:

"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." -John 3:16

"If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just to forgive us our sins, and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness." - 1 John 1:9

“If you want to improve, be content to be thought foolish and stupid."

-Epictetus

Message has been deleted

Dan Ujvari

May 1, 2016, 1:55:53 PM5/1/16
to NYCResistor
IMHO, nothing to make fun of here, especially if we're in this industry.  We should be grateful.  Techcrunch is only a small part of the story.  The startup community is exploding and is responsible for an every increasing percentage of the worldwide semiconductor TAM.  At last look it's up to 23%!  New York sits solidly as the #2 startup environment in the world.

It's an exciting time to be an engineer.  Let the startup-speak flow.  More jobs, more money, more opportunities for us all!

On Sun, May 1, 2016 at 11:18 AM, HelloK omputer <hellok...@gmail.com> wrote:
I thought disrupt was basically one huge super cliche at this point. Is there actual cool stuff there, or just a lot of this:

HelloK omputer

May 1, 2016, 3:57:43 PM5/1/16
to nycresistormi...@googlegroups.com
NYC as #2 startup environment in the world is an interesting claim. The city has the cash, but lacks the schools.

Interesting though. What's your source for this?

What are the big successful NYC startups these days?

Thanks!

Dan Ujvari

May 1, 2016, 4:59:47 PM5/1/16
to NYCResistor
Data comes from a few sources, not all agree, but many do.
Here's one public source that seems to agree with some paid sources I've seen and can't share:

HelloK omputer

May 1, 2016, 5:45:49 PM5/1/16
to nycresistormi...@googlegroups.com
I'll have a look at it, but I'm still wondering where the successful tech startups are in NYC if this is the number #2 spot on earth.

From what I've seen so far, there are like 2 startups positioned to make any money here. By "any money" I mean at least an average engineering salary equivalent for the years spent working.

Can you name a few?

Dan Ujvari

May 1, 2016, 7:12:37 PM5/1/16
to NYCResistor
Sorry.  In my profession as an FAE and Liaison to startups for my company, it is practice to *not* mention companies in this context.  Some could be upset feeling I'm implying we do business together, thereby violating a trust or even an NDA.  Companies I don't mention might feel slighted I didn't mention them. :-/   Talking about accounts in my business is like talking about religion and politics.  There's no way someone isn't going to be offended.

That being said, all you need to do is use Google.  Search on "top startup cities"  New York will be ranked high in every result.  It will be clear there are more than two successful startups. ;-)