CC Debugger // Need replacement ASAP

Dominic Tancredi

Mar 21, 2015, 4:04:43 PM3/21/15
to nycresistormi...@googlegroups.com
Hi NYC Resistors,

We accidentally erased the memory on our CC Debugger and need a replacement to "resurrect" it. Been scrambling online to find a hardware electronics place and can't find any that carry it.

Do you folks have one or know where to get this type of electronic part? Could you contact me at dominic....@gmail.com? We can swing to Brooklyn and are in Manhattan.

We're working on it for a project and it's very urgent.

Relevant links on the issue:
http://e2e.ti.com/support/wireless_connectivity/f/155/t/115507

Section 8.4: http://www.ti.com/lit/ug/swru197h/swru197h.pdf

Matt Joyce

Mar 21, 2015, 4:06:22 PM3/21/15
to nycresistormi...@googlegroups.com
I don't believe we have one of these specifically at NYC Resistor.  We do have a bus pirate if that helps.

-matt

Chris Stratton

Mar 21, 2015, 4:10:55 PM3/21/15
to nycresistormi...@googlegroups.com

Alas the ones I used to have are at a previous employer.  The protocol is published - I got as far as reading out a chip id from a cc2540 with an arm cortex on the same board, though some sticking point prevented figuring out programming in the available time I could sink into it on a project where co-programming would have been nice but unecessary.

James Marquardt

Mar 21, 2015, 4:15:55 PM3/21/15
to nycresistormi...@googlegroups.com
I left you a message in your other thread on how you can get the unit to only accept a firmware upgrade through USB.  Unless you really screwed the unit, you should be able to get some firmware into the unit and get back to your project.

JIm

Dominic Tancredi

Mar 21, 2015, 4:17:01 PM3/21/15
to nycresistormi...@googlegroups.com
Damn.

@Matt: I'm not sure what a bus pirate is... I'm assuming you mean something like this: http://www.ti.com/product/sn74hc244

@Chris: I'm a software//application developer, so the hardware stuff is readable but can be difficult. There's a published schematic that says I could use that sn74hc244 to configure a CC Debugger Flasher using LPT http://puu.sh/gJOvW/22e048cacc.png But I would need a few parts (including the above bus pirate I assume?)

The guide says we could also use a SmartRF05EB. Don't suppose you (or anyone on the list) has one of these?

Thanks, I really appreciate your insight + help.

Dom Tancredi | Partner
DOM & TOM
A 2014 Inc. 500 Fastest Growing Company
55 Broadway, 7th Floor, New York, NY 10006
Office: 646 741 5043 | Mobile: 718.431.5137

Dominic Tancredi

Mar 21, 2015, 8:33:30 PM3/21/15
to nycresistormi...@googlegroups.com
Thanks Jim,

I read that manual and section 8.4 for resurrecting says I need either another CC Debugger or a SmartRF05EB

I'm re-reading but am I missing something?

James Marquardt

Mar 21, 2015, 11:51:58 PM3/21/15
to nycresistormi...@googlegroups.com
Look in section 8.3, FORCED BOOT RECOVERY MODE.  It essentially allows you to get the unit into the root bootloader and then you can put new firmware in it using the procedures outlined in the beginning of the chapter.  Again, this is provided you have not hosed the device entirely.  It looks like as long as you get the blinking RED LED when you short the two points together and power it up, you can re program it with fresh firmware.

The last line in section 8.3 states:
"
Please also note that the boot recovery mode can be used as a check to ver
ify that the bootloader on
the debugger is working."

Jim

Dominic Tancredi

Mar 22, 2015, 12:36:04 PM3/22/15
to nycresistormi...@googlegroups.com
Thanks Jim.

I think we're dealing with an "amber" light, meaning resurrecting is the only option. We fast-shipped 2 CC Debugger replacements, one to repair and to keep as spares.

I'll try shorting the pins to see if we can get to root bootloader. Good call.

Also, if the NYC Resistors want one of the three I'll have after this project, we can donate it (just in case someone in the community needs it).