Advice/recommendation needed; I'mlooking for a App that allows my Iphone to take a photo once every minute for a year. The phone will be mounted in a birdhouse. The goal is to send the photo's directly to a cloud account for editing on a weekly basis

markY

Aug 28, 2018, 3:01:20 PM8/28/18
to NYCResistor:Microcontrollers
The App needs to keep working 24/7 and prevent the phone from going into sleep mode. This Birdhouse iphone film will be powered by solar panels with a large rechargeable battery.
Anyone have any solid experience with an app that can work ??? Happy to answer any questions, and thanks...Mark Yurkiw

Rolan

Aug 28, 2018, 3:58:55 PM8/28/18
to NYCResistor:Microcontrollers
I had put some thought into doing something similar for other projects. Another approach you might want to try would be use use one of these:

in combination with a wifi webcam.

stored in a weather proof box.

Shop around for a camera with minimal power draw as you're probably aiming to keep your solar panel size reasonably small.

There are off the shelf solutions for a little more $$. Google "solar trail camera".

~Rolan

Rolan

Aug 28, 2018, 4:13:22 PM8/28/18
to NYCResistor:Microcontrollers
Sorry, disregard the link for the router. That one I previously mentioned does not have the cellular modem circuitry.
A mobile hotspot... something like this would be needed.

https://www.amazon.com/NETGEAR-LTE-Modem-Broadband-Connection/dp/B01N5ASNTE

I guess if you had a iphone already, that could be used as a hotspot just the same.

Glen Duncan

Aug 28, 2018, 5:48:14 PM8/28/18
to nycresistormi...@googlegroups.com
Why does it need to be a phone? This is an ideal task for a Raspberry Pi.

On Tue, Aug 28, 2018 at 3:01 PM markY <mark.t...@gmail.com> wrote:
The App needs to keep working 24/7 and prevent the phone from going into sleep mode. This Birdhouse iphone film will be powered by solar panels with a large rechargeable battery.
Anyone have any solid experience with an app that can work ??? Happy to answer any questions, and thanks...Mark Yurkiw

Chris Stratton

Aug 28, 2018, 6:38:09 PM8/28/18
to nycresistormi...@googlegroups.com
No, Pi's are not a good fit to long duration battery operation.

Something like an openwrt platform that uncompresses a root ramdisk from flash might work, but the mobile network is typically missing there too.  And while they may consume only a half watt they typically lack a sleep capability.

A phone is about the right combination of parts and power management, the main question is if the operating system will let you do everything you need to do this reliably.  A legacy Android device, particularly something with good support for customization like a Nexus device might fit.

The other potential stumbling block is if you can get it to start up after a power loss without pushing a button; this is often dictated by an auxiliary mcu core in the SoC or by an early stage bootloader or initrd that implements a "chargingode" with no UI stack running.  If you can get past that, a boot receiver on stock android might be all that is needed to get the app going again