cheap pcbs ($27 + $25 shipping for 10pcs, 11 sq in, 2 layer)

jpbar...@aol.com

May 2, 2016, 1:40:38 PM5/2/16
to nycresistormi...@googlegroups.com
I noticed a site advertising on Google for cheap pcbs from China and I'm curious if anyone has used them.

I just entered a quote and 10 pcs  for a 4.3" x 2.5" (11 sq in) board, 2 layer, 2-3 day turn was quoted at $27 + $25 DHL shipping.  Too good to be true?

I am aware of a nice page that Adafruit offers for info on other PCB mfrs.

http://www.ladyada.net/library/pcb/manufacturers.html

For over 15 years I've been using Imagineering (www.pcbnet.com) for many designs and I love their quality, but maybe their price is on the high side ($100 + $25 shipping for this board) for 5 day turn-around.  This is their advertised special, which they farm out to Asia.

I sometimes have students or interns ask me about options for cheap pcbs and one recently used OSH Park, but said it may have taken about a month to get back.

Thank you,
Joe

Sent from AOL Mobile Mail

James Marquardt

May 2, 2016, 2:02:51 PM5/2/16
to nycresistormi...@googlegroups.com

I use PCBway andI have nothing but great things to say about them.  They are also doing my PCB assembly work too and there as well the quality has been spot on.  I get accurate delivery dates and they keep the timeline up to date.

Jim

No virus found in this message.

Chris Stratton

May 2, 2016, 2:23:18 PM5/2/16
to nycresistormi...@googlegroups.com
Jim,

What's a typical order to receipt in NY time for you from PCB way (for
a bare board?) Any quality problems?

I did an OSH park "expedite" earlier this year that was about a week:
$10 for the boards, about $100 in expedite fees and accelerated
shipping. Also ordered some plain service ones at the same time that
took about two weeks, and have a similar plain service order in flight
- but given the delay, am about to iron transfer and etch a bunch of
quick-project breakouts today.

It would be great to have something on the order of a week in the $50
range for projects that aren't "today" critical, but where you want
the boards back while the need for them is still current...

Chris

James Marquardt

May 2, 2016, 2:28:57 PM5/2/16
to nycresistormi...@googlegroups.com
No more than 7 business days using DHL. Usually 6 from when they accept payment. They only take PayPal or direct bank transfer. I use the Paypal option and have never had any issues.

I think shipping is free if you use Hong Kong postal, but it can take up to a month.

The quote from OSH park rates you quote are nuts!

Jim
-----
No virus found in this message.

-----
No virus found in this message.
-----

James Marquardt

May 5, 2016, 9:20:40 PM5/5/16
to NYCResistor:Microcontrollers
I just sent payment for my latest order and based on past experience I should have the boards by next Tuesday so thats 7 days turnaround.  I will post pictures when they arrive if you want.

Jim

Todd Polenberg

May 6, 2016, 12:07:40 AM5/6/16
to nycresistormi...@googlegroups.com
Please do.  I thought www.pcbcart.com was cheap but this is like crazy cheap, esp. with no NREs.

Thanks,
Todd

James Marquardt

May 9, 2016, 8:40:01 AM5/9/16
to NYCResistor:Microcontrollers
Just received notice that my order left China Yesterday and will be in my hands on Tuesday sometime before noon.  That would make the total turnaround time of 5 days for the order of 15 boards.  5 boards 9 x 4 inches and the other 10 boards 2 x 1 inch.

JIm

James Marquardt

May 10, 2016, 2:09:19 PM5/10/16
to NYCResistor:Microcontrollers
My boards just arrived.  The camera takes hi res photos so I put them in a folder you can see here:
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/j262xwisiey4ys9/AAC95WbJRKkU_14d2X6Qk_uJa?dl=0

I thought I ordered Blue masking, but a second look at the order shows green so my fault there.

Jim

jpbar...@aol.com

May 10, 2016, 2:28:59 PM5/10/16
to nycresistormi...@googlegroups.com
Jim,

They look great.  Thank you for the photos.

Can you share what the cost is?

Thanks,
Joe

Sent from AOL Mobile Mail

James Marquardt

May 10, 2016, 2:41:58 PM5/10/16
to NYCResistor:Microcontrollers
Sure.

The larger board is 222mm x 101mm and 5 of them cost $112.00.  I had to order 5 as that is the minimum order even though I only need two.

The smaller board is 42mm x 23mm and they were $79.00 for ten boards - Which I needed.

Both boards are HASL lead free

Took less than 6 days to get them from China fabricated and delivered,