Call for Applications :: School of Machines, Making and Make-Believe

Sarah Riazati

Feb 27, 2015, 9:07:56 AM2/27/15
to nycresistormi...@googlegroups.com
Hi Resistors,

We are now accepting applications for the 2015 session of The School of Machines, Making and Make-Believe.

For the first time, the school will be located in Belgrade, Serbia. Expert instructors (from RCA in London, ITP in NYC, and more!) will lead workshops over a five week period immediately following the 2015 Resonate conference.

The topic is "Fabricating Empathy" - together we will explore how we can use digital fabrication to better understand each other. We have an amazing roster of instructors from around the world, including alumni of RCA & ITP. How can we create meaningful experiences using technology to express who we are and where we came from? While learning digital fabrication techniques, designing mechanisms and kinetic sculptures as a way to animate the invisible forces that shape our human behaviour, we’ll simultaneously explore Empathy as a necessary tool to strengthen human connection and enhance our experiences of life.

The goal of the program is to explore in-depth the creative and expressive possibilities of digital fabrication (3D printers, CNC) and kinetic objects while delving into speculative and critical design. In addition, we’ll also have an opportunity to explore Oculus Rift and ways in which it helps us to extend our empathic capabilities outside ourselves and into public spaces.

With a diverse group of students from around the world, together we can expand our digifab skills and spread them back to our home communities.

We hope you're interested in joining us! More information is available on the website: http://schoolofma.org

And please get in touch with any questions! in...@schoolofma.org

thanks!
sarah