Anyone good with Spark Core?

Kayla Matheus

Nov 21, 2014, 12:13:38 PM11/21/14
to nycresistormi...@googlegroups.com
Hello internet friends -

I just got a Spark Core yesterday and have been running into some headaches. It was working and connecting just fine, until I realized I wanted a serial monitor, and then I went through the process of installing the CLI + all the stuff that goes with it. Now I keep running into two problems: incessant flashing green (i.e. receive wifi credentials but can't connect) or blue breathing but the CLI indicates the core is offline. Things I've tried:

- Hard resets
- Restarting everything and anything
- Installing the "deep update"
- Installing the CC300 patch
- Re-installing both of the above (this actually worked and I was able to run one app before it went back to the flashing green or offline blue modes)
- Going through manual setup through the CLI (I've done this tens of times and only once was able to get to the "magenta" stage. It would always stay flashing green).
- Flashing the tinker app (also helped for one run, but then back to problems after one app run)

There is a pattern of it sometimes randomly working (i.e. both blue breathing AND listed as "online" when checking the spark list through the CLI), but after one run of an app the core suddenly goes offline again.

Any suggestions on what to do next, or Spark Core experts who might be willing to go through some real-time troubleshooting would be much appreciated!

On things to note: I am definitely a beginner with this stuff. I've done arduino/teensy before, but this is my first time interacting heavily with the terminal and downloading things like Homebrew and Xcode (luckily I had some help last night at "craft night", but still kept stunning into issues).

Thanks!
Kayla

H. Vidal, Jr.

Nov 21, 2014, 1:27:24 PM11/21/14
to nycresistormi...@googlegroups.com
If this is a tiny linux box and you have console access,
see what 'dmesg' output says.

It will likely say a lot.....you'll have to filter it through
'less' or 'grep' or whatever else is available from the command
line, in order to see what device drivers and kernel might be
telling you about installed devices.

Just a thought.

hv

mars

Jan 16, 2015, 9:13:04 AM1/16/15
to nycresistormi...@googlegroups.com
I'm not an expert, and I played with these a little a while ago, but I found their support to be extremely helpful and fairly quick. But that was a year ago, and they may be bogged down now, but their forums are great too. Good luck.

HelloK omputer

Jan 21, 2015, 6:29:14 PM1/21/15
to nycresistormi...@googlegroups.com
If you're a beginner, and the core is being used to do a specific task, you might want to re-evaluate using it. It's a complex thing, and there are many microcontroller header boards with a clock and regulator that can get you moving much quicker.

I have no idea what you're using it for, but it's just a thought.