Laser cutting - cheaper alternative?

Anders Nelson

Jul 5, 2017, 11:39:13 PM7/5/17
to nycresistormi...@googlegroups.com
Hey all,

Is there a more affordable resource for laser cutting than the $1/minute machine at NYC Resistor? I have some demos to make that require 1,012 rectangles cut out of a garment, and I need to make several demos. Each one takes about 15 minutes I think.

Any suggestions are appreciated!

=]

Todd Blatt

Jul 5, 2017, 11:40:30 PM7/5/17
to nycresistormi...@googlegroups.com
I'm in Baltimore and have a laser.  But is your math right? 15 minutes times 1012 is a lot of minutes....

Michael Zions

Jul 5, 2017, 11:47:20 PM7/5/17
to NYCResistor:Microcontrollers
Depending on the fabric, intricacy, and whether you can stiffen the fabric, you can use a vinyl cutter instead. That's a lot cheaper to operate, and if your time estimate is correct then you can buy a vinyl cutter for less.

Is that time estimate accurate? I cut wood and acrylic quicker than that.

Michael Zions

Jul 5, 2017, 11:49:03 PM7/5/17
to NYCResistor:Microcontrollers
Oh. LOL. I think I get it. Each demo needs 1,012 rectangles cut. Each demo takes 15 minutes to cut all those rectangles. You need several demos, so an hour or an hour and a half. Not ~15,000 minutes of laser time.

Anders Nelson

Jul 6, 2017, 12:05:00 AM7/6/17
to nycresistormi...@googlegroups.com
Heh, yeah each unit with 1012 holes takes about 15 minutes.

In the Bay Area there is Noisebridge (hacker space) and TechShop (paid space) with lesser rates so I thought I'd ask. Seems much more expensive in NY though I don't understand why that would be...

=]

Carol

Jul 6, 2017, 1:49:56 PM7/6/17
to NYCResistor:Microcontrollers
I have no idea about his price per minute, but Raouf Sarwari in Bushwick is reasonable and a pleasure to work with. I've worked with him since 2007. He's done work for architecture students, so he can't be too expensive, right?

Raouf Sarwari
56 Bogart Street, Brooklyn

Matt Joyce

Jul 6, 2017, 2:04:10 PM7/6/17
to nycresistormi...@googlegroups.com
Carol let me know if you find someone cheaper.  Always curious to see where we stack up in the cost comparison.

You might do better with someone who has a better ( more industrial sized ) laser.

Anders Nelson