Teletype Model 15 Restoration: Need 120VDC @ 60mA, got any?

wwward

Feb 18, 2010, 12:59:47 AM2/18/10
to NYCResistor:Microcontrollers
I'm working on a deadline project (deadline in slightly less than a
month,) where I need to acquire a reliable (won't catch fire, won't
blow up,) power supply that produces 120VDC @ 60mA. The Teletype
Model 15 has a selector magnet with enormous inductance, somewhere
around 4 Henrys. I've been speaking with Jack Nagle over on the west
coast about it.

I'd like to hear if there would be a good solution I could find
locally with a minimum amount of time, I have a few other things in
the task bucket to work on for this project.

Looking for pragmatic shortcuts, really.

You can see Adam and Bre's video of the machine here:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=niYDegfpfAs

And you can see the latest picture here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/wwward0/4355080678/

Thanks,
Bill (@NYCR)

Jim Cliffe

Feb 18, 2010, 9:54:39 AM2/18/10
to nycresistormi...@googlegroups.com

I hope you have a team of Sherpas to move it for you...

When I had one in my attic (some people have bats, some people have
other stuff) I ran the current loop from a truncated AC power supply. It
was a simple bridge rectifier and a honking big capacitor to kill the
ripple. The output voltage was over 120Vdc but it worked well on a
Canadian Army Signals set as well as a German Lorenz made M15.

My neighbours were very happy when I ended the RTTY project. When the
units were free running, you could hear it two floors down. -G-

Jim Cliffe
VE7MHJ

Dave Clausen

Feb 18, 2010, 11:35:08 AM2/18/10
to nycresistormi...@googlegroups.com
I don't know of an off-the-shelf solution, but you might want to check out the nixie tube clock websites. They have similar requirements and I think there are even a few kits available that are just power supplies.  If you decide to roll your own, I have a big bucket o high voltage parts from a previous project that you can sample from (e.g. mosfets, boost regulators, transformers etc.).

BTW, be careful with this. Even 60ma at 120V is dangerous, if it manages to find a path through your heart. And if you run off of mains power, I strongly suggest that you use a fuse and an isolation transformer, even though some nixie people will tell you they are unnecessary.

wwward

Feb 18, 2010, 10:17:50 PM2/18/10
to NYCResistor:Microcontrollers
Thanks Dave & Jim (that VE station up there, eh?)

I have a faint hope that there's a good bench supply at Resistor that
will do this without any additional work. Since this will be
installed in a semi-public location, I'm especially concerned about
the supply being robust enough not to melt down while I'm away, and -
of course - all energized bits will be isolated from fingers.

I'll shop around for the transformers and prefabbed kits. Optimally
an adjustable current bench supply would be the most convenient for a
two-day installation.

Bill

wwward

Feb 18, 2010, 11:09:22 PM2/18/10
to NYCResistor:Microcontrollers
Actually, my original post should read "John Nagle"... Late night
posting is rife with errors.

rmd6502

Feb 18, 2010, 9:39:03 AM2/18/10
to NYCResistor:Microcontrollers
Fortunately the current requirement isn't high - I'd use a 1:1
isolation xformer, a 200V bridge rect, and some 'oil can' capacitors.
IANAEE, so I'm sure that wouldn't be adequate longterm, but would be
good enough to test.

John Baronian

Feb 19, 2010, 12:16:12 PM2/19/10
to nycresistormi...@googlegroups.com
Although it sounds like you are getting some great help for alternative sources Fair Radio Sales http://www.fairradio.com/ in Lima Ohio has always been a great source of surplus equipment.  I bought an AN/GRR5 receiver from them 35yrs ago and they are still in business.

c f

Feb 19, 2010, 1:09:03 PM2/19/10
to nycresistormi...@googlegroups.com
I'm from Lima . . . that place is awesome!

E. B.

Oct 24, 2016, 10:22:21 AM10/24/16
to NYCResistor:Microcontrollers
Not to dig up an old topic from it's grave ;p heh, but this thread is the closest to what I can up with to what I need to ask ;o  (sorry >o<; !).  To those who may know, I need a bit of help figuring out the power requirements for my Teletype Model 15 that I picked up a few weeks ago ;o ... there are very few sources out there with much info :/ .  Wiring diagram here:...

...so, I have an AC line, as shown in the diagram, going from terminals 21 & 23 (including a ground line); a DC line from terminals 24 & 25; and a red jack line going from terminals 32 & 41 with an internal wire connecting terminals 34 & 42 together.  AC powers fine but my (initial) question is the DC part ;o ... I have a variable voltage DC power supply that I can hook up the DC to ;o , so.....

...do I run the AC and DC power together, at the same time (I believe I do) and if I do, what do I need to set the DC power to so that I don't blow the thing up ;o ???  I know that DC voltage has to be a bit lower than the specified 120vdc because of the AC line (one site mentions resistors on the 120vdc power line - but since I have the variable voltage transformer, I can do it a little differently - just need to know how ;p heh).  I'm not even going to worry about the jack line yet, until I get this DC part figured out first ;o ~.....

Anyways, any help would be so much appreciated ^^ !!!  It's been sitting down there for a few weeks now without much progress, so I'd be so very happy to find out if the whole kitten-kaboodles works or not ;p heh.  Thank you very much in advance all ^_^ !!!~

:)

Matt Joyce

Oct 24, 2016, 10:42:12 AM10/24/16
to nycresistormi...@googlegroups.com
while adam, who did the lions share of the work on the teletype we had has not yet chimed in... there is also this post:  https://trmm.net/Model_15_Teletype

not sure it helps you though.

-matt

Dan Lavin

Oct 24, 2016, 11:01:56 AM10/24/16
to nycresistormi...@googlegroups.com

Looking at the schematic it seems to me that (1) DC power is definitely required on pins 24 and 25 and (2) depending on which motor unit you have, either AC or DC power is required on pins 21 and 23.  The first thing I would do is try to figure out which of the two types of motor units (shown on the schematic as alternatives) you actually have; then, power accordingly.

For a power source, make sure that whatever you use is line isolated for your own safety.  Most variable voltage transformers are not line isolated.  60ma sounds reasonable for the pure DC line (pins 24 and 25), but the motor line may well require higher current.

Trammell Hudson

Oct 24, 2016, 11:53:13 AM10/24/16
to nycresistormi...@googlegroups.com
The Aetherltd schematic is overly complicated for most teletype setups.
Typically you need only two connections (three if you also have TX) --
120V AC from the wall for the motor and a DC current loop for the
electromagnet / relay.

For my model 15 teletypes I built a boost converter that also acted as
a bi-directional USB serial adapter and eliminated the need for a DC
power supply:

https://trmm.net/Boost_converter

--
Trammell
> ><mailto:nycresistormicrocon...@googlegroups.com>.
> >

> >No virus found in this message.

E. B.

Oct 24, 2016, 6:37:35 PM10/24/16
to NYCResistor:Microcontrollers
Dan,

The motor says AC Synchronous :) .  I can stick a few 1A fuses inline, between the transformer and the Teletype on DC - it should be all good, hopefully ;) heh~

Hudson,

That's my ultimate goal - to get the TX line hooked up to USB ;o (I tried to look at the schematics over on your website... they are there, aren't they ;o ???... if they are, they wouldn't load for me xD meheh ;p ~)... that'll be some work later on ;p .  For now, just to test - to make sure all the works work besides the AC motor side ;p ... would I be able to hook up pins 24 & 25 to 120vdc for the test (running simultaneously with AC), or would I have to down-step the DC side so that it doesn't overload the rest of the system ;o ???  I'm still a little confused, sorry ;o .  A friend from England told me that the voltage on the DC side would have to be powered lower, since AC and DC together would equal 145/165v total on the system, or something like that around there ;o .  I can see that when only running on AC:  The keyboard, the selector bars (which, as I remember, are hooked up to the selector magnets) and the... what would you call it ;o , the swing arm (?) does not function - so I assume this is DC powered, right ;o heh :) ?

Sorry if I sound a bit dumb here ;o ~...

Also, about your USB setup... what operating system are you using for it ;o ???  I would eventually be hooking it up to a Mac, but I'm not sure if the system will recognize the USB unit as being an output for audio (I'm hoping to hook it up to the online RTTY newsfeed eventually - audio only ;o ~)... not sure it will all cooperate together nicely ;p ~

Anyways, thanks so much again for all of your help everyone, all and your patience ^^ !!!~

:)