Anyone have an X-Carve I can look at?

AJ McGuire

Sep 6, 2016, 10:47:30 PM9/6/16
to NYCResistor:Microcontrollers
Hi all,

I'm thinking about getting one of the new X-Carves when they start shipping but I'd like to talk to someone who has run one for awhile and maybe see it in action. Anyone on the list have one/experience with it?

The big question I'm trying to answer is whether it'd be (noise, mess, size, other needs) appropriate for an art studio setting as opposed to needing more of a maker space or carpentry shop.

For anyone who doesn't know what I'm talking about, this: https://www.inventables.com/technologies/x-carve

Feel free to email me off list.

Thanks!

-AJ

micha...@gmail.com

Sep 6, 2016, 11:25:00 PM9/6/16
to nycresistormi...@googlegroups.com
For what it's worth, I just bought a Shapeoko for my personal studio. I'm figuring out a decent dust collection system now because I can't have dust everywhere. Noise will probably be an issue, but a whole bunch of folks have built well-documented soundproof enclosures. Other woodworking facilities nearby are a really nice thing to have, though- there are a whole bunch of other maintenance factors attached.

So far, I've identified: A solid work surface, dust collection (200-300$+), workholding (I think x-carve has some of that built in), enclosure, a means of milling/processing materials beforehand. It's incredibly useful, but I have trouble imagining how to make it work without the other supporting facilities.

Not in NY, but feel free to send over any questions. The Shapeoko seems great so far, but so does the new x-carve.

Sent from my Chalkboard slate

Justin Eastman

Sep 7, 2016, 12:50:42 AM9/7/16
to nycresistormi...@googlegroups.com
I have the 1000mm version for a little more than a year.  It's not perfect but works for my purposes.  I use it in my basement all the time... Would be happy to answer any questions you might have.

Justin