Advice needed on purchasing a new Multimeter .... I'm a mid level maker

CONCEPT2FORM LLC

Jan 16, 2015, 8:56:37 PM1/16/15
to nycresistormi...@googlegroups.com
Is there someone who could shed some light on the multimeter below? I'm looking for something nice, but not off the wall crazy, as I'm only starting to get into all this fun and exciting stuff. Thanks for your input! If you have any other models you would recommend please comment with a link.

thanks!!

Bradley Laboe

Jan 18, 2015, 8:51:52 AM1/18/15
to nycresistormi...@googlegroups.com

Dan Lavin

Jan 18, 2015, 9:48:17 AM1/18/15
to nycresistormi...@googlegroups.com
I have been using meters for a long time and have more than I can count.  This one looks pretty good for the money and has two features I find are very important -- auto off and audible continuity.  Auto off is important because it saves batteries when you forget to turn the meter off.  Audible continuity allows you to trace connections without looking at the meter.   It is not auto ranging, which, at this price level, is a good thing because it will read more quickly.  After you find out what you need you can get something more sophisticated, but this has 90% of what you will ever need from a meter.

CONCEPT2FORM LLC

Jan 18, 2015, 8:11:29 PM1/18/15
to nycresistormi...@googlegroups.com, dan...@verizon.net
Thanks for that great info Dan! After looking around and needing something quickly, I purchased the one I liked to below. I liked that it also has capacitance capabilities. It was also the right price for my level of understanding. I may get something more robust in the future but for now this or similar should suit me quite well.

On 1/16/2015 8:56 PM, CONCEPT2FORM LLC wrote:
Is there someone who could shed some light on the multimeter below? I'm looking for something nice, but not off the wall crazy, as I'm only starting to get into all this fun and exciting stuff. Thanks for your input! If you have any other models you would recommend please comment with a link.

thanks!!

CONCEPT2FORM LLC

Jan 19, 2015, 5:36:54 PM1/19/15
to nycresistormi...@googlegroups.com
I looked at the model you linked to... whooo, that's a beast. Probably not ready to dial it in that much. Quite honestly I'm really into salvage builds; taking things from other things and making new things. Plus the exploration of tons of different devices is awesome. One of these days after I've goofed off enough maybe I'll do something that takes a dialed in level of precision that the machine you linked here can do. But thanks for the info.

On Sunday, January 18, 2015 at 5:51:52 AM UTC-8, Bradley Laboe wrote:
On Fri, Jan 16, 2015 at 8:56 PM, CONCEPT2FORM LLC <concep...@gmail.com> wrote:
Is there someone who could shed some light on the multimeter below? I'm looking for something nice, but not off the wall crazy, as I'm only starting to get into all this fun and exciting stuff. Thanks for your input! If you have any other models you would recommend please comment with a link.

thanks!!

Bradley Laboe

Jan 19, 2015, 6:43:18 PM1/19/15
to nycresistormi...@googlegroups.com
Me too ... hard for me to walk by an old radio and not think... that needs a Raspberry Pi or Aruino I use that particular meter to measure power loss and gain as most of the salvage builds I do are rechargeable... it is also good to have 2 meters so you can measure the go's in to at the same time as the go's out of ...

Dyslexics Untie