Advice on sourcing a device with individually locking drawers?

Eric Skiff

Mar 17, 2017, 3:19:46 PM3/17/17
to NYCResistor:Microcontrollers
Hi all!

I'm working on a new project where we need people to be able to enter a pin code, which then delivers them a certain key that's waiting for them, essentially like a one  of those lockboxes you might get at a hardware store, but with the ability for us to load a bunch of keys in, reprogram it with codes for each key, and then only deliver the one that you're supposed to get when you enter the proper pin.

I'm expecting that we'll need to "re-brain" a device to work the way we want at the least, that's something we can handle - BUT, I'd really love to not go all the way into re-inventing the wheel with this, trying to design locking drawers with solenoids, etc.

I know there are some off-the-shelf "cell phone charging station" type things, and it occurs to me that a vending machine might work well, but I was curious if anyone had additional thoughts about the best way to recommend tackling this project, or devices they'd recommend?

Thanks!
-Eric

--
Product Strategy & Development
with Ruby on Rails and iOS

Matt Joyce

Mar 17, 2017, 3:21:16 PM3/17/17
to nycresistormi...@googlegroups.com

Michael Zions

Mar 17, 2017, 3:25:49 PM3/17/17
to nycresistormi...@googlegroups.com
I've seen - but not used - locking medication dispensers.

I don't know if it automatically empties each chamber as it rotates past the opening, like an automatic fish feeder.

If it doesn't, it seems a good start.

Eric Skiff

Mar 17, 2017, 3:59:10 PM3/17/17
to NYCResistor:Microcontrollers
Ah, interesting thought, I'll take a look at that one! Thanks Michael :)

One of the things i'm considering is those "push the capsule out of the cylinder" style vending machines, or a vacuum pick-and-place style machine usually used for ice cream bars... basically any vending machine that's more reliable than the standard twist coil.

On Mar 17, 2017 3:19 PM, "Eric Skiff" <er...@tanookilabs.com> wrote:
[...]

Gloria W

Mar 17, 2017, 5:28:37 PM3/17/17
to nycresistormi...@googlegroups.com