Fabricating Empathy - a new workshop from the School of Machines, Making and Make-Believe

Sarah Riazati

Feb 27, 2015, 9:07:56 AM2/27/15
to nycresistormi...@googlegroups.com
Hi Resistors!

I thought some of you may be interested in the approaching session of The School of Machines, Making and Make-Believe, from April 20 to May 22 in Belgrade, Serbia.

For the first time, the school will be located in Belgrade, immediately following the 2015 Resonate. Expert instructors (from RCA in London, ITP in NYC, and more!) will lead workshops around the topic "Fabricating Empathy".

How can we create meaningful experiences using technology to express who we are and where we came from? This course will focus on Empathy and Culture in the context of art and technology. While learning digital fabrication techniques, designing mechanisms and kinetic sculptures as a way to animate the invisible forces that shape our human behaviour, we’ll simultaneously explore Empathy as a necessary tool to strengthen human connection and enhance our experiences of life.

The goal of the program is to explore in-depth the creative and expressive possibilities of digital fabrication (3D printers, CNC) and kinetic objects while delving into speculative and critical design. In addition, we’ll also have an opportunity to explore Oculus Rift and ways in which it helps us to extend our empathic capabilities outside ourselves and into public spaces. Instructors include BeAnother Lab, Marcela Godoy of YesYesNo, Sitraka Rakotoniaina, Andrew Friend & Pussykrew.

Applications are due by March 8. Please visit the website (http://schoolofma.org/) for more information on the the program, instructors, tuition, and scholarships.

For any questions contact in...@schoolofma.org

thanks!
sarah