Prototyping w/ odd (to me) smt component

Matthew Arcidy

Jul 28, 2017, 1:36:01 PM7/28/17
to NYCResistor:Microcontrollers
Hi All,

I'm trying to use this LED in a project but it's pad layout is new to me:
http://www.osram-os.com/Graphics/XPic8/00243180_0.pdf
I can't find a breakout board for it like I would for a tssop.

Is there such a thing or a good way to work with such odd layout? Any advice greatly appreciated!

Thanks,
Matt

Chris Stratton

Jul 28, 2017, 2:06:27 PM7/28/17
to nycresistormi...@googlegroups.com
That seems to only have two contacts

You can probably span it between some pins on any spare little
breakout you have, or even carefully solder fine wires right to it.

It doesn't seem terribly high current, but if you're concerned about
power and heat dissipation you could take a piece of copper clad,
carve a groove in it with a knife, and solder the LED spanning the
trench. Then solder leads to the copper.

Matthew Arcidy

Jul 28, 2017, 8:40:13 PM7/28/17
to nycresistormi...@googlegroups.com
Ah, thanks Chris, I see now.  I got confused and was looking at pg13 at the pad layout.  Am I reading it right that it's suggesting 6 pads for 2 contacts?  I get the contact would still be made, but any hint why 6?  Or maybe I'm still confused?

Thanks,
Matt

On Fri, Jul 28, 2017 at 1:36 PM, Matthew Arcidy <mar...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> I'm trying to use this LED in a project but it's pad layout is new to me:
> http://www.osram-os.com/Graphics/XPic8/00243180_0.pdf
> I can't find a breakout board for it like I would for a tssop.
>
> Is there such a thing or a good way to work with such odd layout?  Any advice greatly appreciated!
>
> Thanks,
> Matt

Jason Wright

Jul 29, 2017, 1:34:50 PM7/29/17
to nycresistormi...@googlegroups.com
Of the three diagrams on pg 13 of that datasheet, the one on the left shows the recommended pad land pattern, the one in the middle shows the recommended solder mask pattern, and the one of the right (with 6 areas) is a recommended solder paste stencil pattern. (Sometimes it makes sense to split up a solder paste region into smaller areas like that to avoid excess paste causing assembly problems.)

pg12 shows the actual contacts of the LED, so nope, only two contacts!

Jason