Trying to hack coffee machine at work, anyone can help ?

Nicholas Ursa

Jun 29, 2017, 10:06:42 AM6/29/17
to NYCResistor:Microcontrollers
Hey all:

At work we have these https://www.marsdrinks.com/solutions/machines/flavia-creation-400/ coffee machines with an LCD display. My goal is to be able to change the strings and bitmaps on the display.

Oh did I mention I'm new to electronics. I need impossible goals for motivation, it seems. Anyways, I bought a spare controller board for the unit on ebay and am trying to see what's possible. The microcontroller on the board is this one:

Which has this really hopeful line in the datasheet: On chip debugger(support E10A-USB)

But is that some kind of Renesas proprietary thing ? https://www.renesas.com/en-us/products/software-tools/tools/emulator/e10a-usb.html  I see a single debug test pad on the board.

The ultimate goal for me is to figure out how to modify the on-microcontroller flash contents. Then attach some serial to bluetooth adapter on my test board. Then one day, sneak into work on a weekend and perform the same surgery on the real deal so I can make a witty and haunted unit that I will be able to program with my phone while hiding nearby.

I'm in over my head, probably, but would appreciate some pointers.  Esp in person.
Questions I have right now...

 * how can I decode the LCD output pins ? I don't know what kind of display is should be (it's a 20 pin connector, so I guess it's not a serial protocol). Can I figure out the protocol with a scope ? What standards should I be aware of. The pins seem to be coming straight from the microcontroller with some current limiting smd resistors ? Also how do I solder in a larger connector to these tiny board connector ?
 * the microcontroller seems to have some direct storage access modes, like the microcontroller equivalent os of Target Disk mode. Anyone have experience with something like this  ?
 * is it likely I can power the low-voltage side of the board directly with a bench DC supply ? I see +5 and +12 pins, so I hoped if I trace back I can find one source ? I don't have an isolation transformer yet but I'm watching on ebay for a cheap one so I can work on this at higher voltage.

thanks, any tips would be appreciated. I've never actually been to NYC resistor yet. Is there a lab setup there adequate to work on this ? I think I have most of what I need at home but would want to know what to bring in if I need to.

n.

What I need help with:
 * help me spot UART if it's there.

Matt Joyce

Jun 29, 2017, 10:10:59 AM6/29/17
to nycresistormi...@googlegroups.com
First off are you familiar with RFC 2324 and RFC 2325?

Keep your coffee machine to spec.

Also you may want to check out ISO standards related to coffee and coffee related products...

there are also several tea related ISO standards.

Luke Nilaratna BrownGold

Jun 29, 2017, 10:42:21 AM6/29/17
to nycresistormi...@googlegroups.com
To be honest this seems like a huge project to take on for someone new to electronics. Reverse engineer a $500+ coffee machine would be difficult even for someone skilled in such things.

Have you thought about simpler ways to achieve a similar results? Do you want the unit to still work after your modification? If it were me I would buy a broken one on ebay and then swap out the lcd display with a rasberry pi plus a tiny screen. You then could just copy the interface. And later switch the two machines.

~luke