ATmega32u4 HID Bootloader and Mac

Andy Leviss

Nov 21, 2011, 12:57:02 PM11/21/11
to NYCResistor Microcontrollers Group
Hey guys,
Does anybody have any experience with any ATmega32u4 Mac-compatible
HID bootloaders that can easily flash an EEPROM file? If I use
TeensyHID from LUFA, and the commandline version of TeensyLoader, I
could flash EEPROM as part of an ELF, but I want to just flash the
EEPROM, while leaving the flash intact.

I was looking at BootloadHID, from ObDev, but can only seem to find
Windows loaders to go with it. Is my Google Fu just failing me, or is
there not a compatible Mac-friendly version? And then, after that, I'm
still not sure that the loaders I've found for it have the capability
to write the EEPROM, anyway.

For whatever it's worth, for the right price, I'd happily pay somebody
to create me a cross-platform app that would let a user choose a
number of options from drop downs/text entry fields, parse those into
a HEX file, and flash them to the 32u4 via USB, in some fashion that
does not require a driver on Windows or Mac. HID, I know there are
various bits of MIDI bootloaders around, I'm open to options. Ideal
world, it'd also be able to read the EEPROM back from the MCU and
translate it back out to plain English.

Anybody have any suggestions? I'm venturing in a bit over my head
getting into making it easy for another user to flash the EEPROM on
the end project, clearly, so could use any assistance!

Thanks,
Andy

Chris Clearfield

Nov 21, 2011, 1:11:18 PM11/21/11
to nycresistormi...@googlegroups.com
Hi,
You might look into an emulator product like VMWare Fusion or
parallelis for Mac. They can run Windows and, if your hardware speaks
USB, it might just "work" with a windows executable.

I've had luck flashing data cards through a USB dongle in a
windows-only setting.
--
Chris

> --

Chris Clearfield

Andy Leviss

Nov 21, 2011, 1:30:15 PM11/21/11
to nycresistormi...@googlegroups.com
On Mon, Nov 21, 2011 at 1:11 PM, Chris Clearfield
<chris.cl...@gmail.com> wrote:
> You might look into an emulator product like VMWare Fusion or
> parallelis for Mac. They can run Windows and, if your hardware speaks
> USB, it might just "work" with a windows executable.

That wouldn't work for this project, as the goal is to make it easy
for a less technically inclined user to quickly update settings
without having to install anything. I've got no problem flashing it on
my dev machine via AVRfuses from OS X.

--Andy

Ben Harper

Dec 19, 2017, 10:34:31 AM12/19/17
to NYCResistor:Microcontrollers
Andy, I've been searching for a week for a similar solution, did you come across any?