NYCT Holiday subway train runaround

hanc...@bbs.cpcn.com

Nov 24, 2010, 11:35:00 AM11/24/10
I emailed the MTA to see if theyr'e gonna run the holiday "shoppers
special" old subway train this year*. They promptly responded that I
should contact the Transit Museum. But the Transit Museum says they
don't operate the train and have no information about it, not even a
schedule.

*Last year they ran R1-9's on Sixth Ave.

If anyone hears if they're running any such service (maybe the Lo-Vs
this year) please let us know. Thanks.

Michael Wares

Nov 25, 2010, 1:44:06 AM11/25/10
> If anyone hears if they're running any such service (maybe the Lo-Vs
> this year) please let us know.  Thanks.

There's been extensive discussion on SubChat
http://www.subchat.com/read.asp?Id=1006200

Michael Wares

Michael Finfer

Nov 25, 2010, 10:17:18 PM11/25/10

Here's the link:

http://www.mta.info/nyct/service/events/vintage.html

Michael Finfer
Bridgewater, NJ

hanc...@bbs.cpcn.com

Nov 25, 2010, 11:57:51 PM11/25/10
On Nov 25, 10:17 pm, Michael Finfer <fin...@optonline.net> wrote:

Thanks!

Bill

Nov 26, 2010, 10:31:10 PM11/26/10
hanc...@bbs.cpcn.com wrote in news:20247902-6368-4a1a-ad7d-151485cdc0a7
@a7g2000vbz.googlegroups.com:

The Holiday Nostalgia Train will run on Sunday 28 November. First departure
from 2nd Ave/Houston Street at 1000 Hrs this Sunday to IND Queens Plaza.
The last scheduled trip of the day is at approximately 1600. The nostalgia
train will run on Sundays until 26 December 2010.

Bill

Vince

Nov 26, 2010, 11:08:07 PM11/26/10

Will this be an extra fare or can one just get on?

Lawrence Greenwald

Nov 27, 2010, 3:53:31 AM11/27/10
In article <4cf08435$0$21762$607e...@cv.net>,
Vince <vpil...@optonline.net> wrote:

It's considered a regular train, you board it just like any other train.
It's just using the old-style equipment.

Just remember, it's a short-turn run, so if you want to go beyond Queens
Plaza or 2nd Ave, you'll have to board a regular E or F train, depending
on the terminal.

Vince

Nov 27, 2010, 7:40:31 AM11/27/10

Yes of course

Bill

Nov 27, 2010, 8:37:26 PM11/27/10
Vince <vpil...@optonline.net> wrote in

The train will go into regular revenue passenger service alomg 6th Avenue
between 2nd Avenue/Houston & Queens Plaza (IND).

The train will discharge all passengers at QP, relay (Change
ends/directions) via middle track D5 located just north of the Queeens
Plaza station, reenter Queens Plaza, and go back into service for the
southbound trip back to 2nd Avenue Manhattan.

Passengers can remain onboard the train at 2nd Avenue during train
layover periods.

Stops include:

West 4th
14th Street
23rd Street
34th Street
42nd Street
47-50th Street - Rockafeller Center
5th Avenue
Lexington Avenue
23rd Ely (45th Courthouse Road) Queens
Queens Plaza.

In the past the special was announced as the V to Queens Plaza, however
since the V route was terminated last summer, I don't know how the R1/9
Nostalgia Special will be announced as. I suspect that crew announcements
will be made to as to the ttain operating over the M line to Queens
Plaza.

I expect a big turn out as in past years.

hanc...@bbs.cpcn.com

Nov 27, 2010, 10:09:53 PM11/27/10
On Nov 27, 8:37 pm, Bill <imo...@yahoo.com> wrote:

> In the past the special was announced as the V to Queens Plaza, however
> since the V route was terminated last summer, I don't know how the R1/9
> Nostalgia Special will be announced as. I suspect that crew announcements
> will be made to as to the ttain operating over the M line to Queens
> Plaza.

In an earlier post there is a link to the official MTA announcement,
so you can see how it is announced.

The old trains do not have PA systems so there are no 'announcements'
as such. Actually, riding a train without the super-smooth-silky
voice babbling incessantly about your personal belongings and
terrorists is rather nice.

In past the runs the onboard MTA staff were most concerned with
telling would-be passengers that the train is a short turn special,
not any particular route. When running the train does not pause long
at stations.

Many passengers who just happened to be there when the train showed up
rode a station or two just for the experience. Everyone enjoyed
riding it very much. Lots of cellphone pictures were taken.

For the first time the MTA website includes a schedule, which is most
helpful for visitors. The schedule appears to the be the same as
followed in the past two years.

Peter T. Daniels

Nov 27, 2010, 10:59:46 PM11/27/10
On Nov 27, 10:09 pm, hanco...@bbs.cpcn.com wrote:
> On Nov 27, 8:37 pm, Bill <imo...@yahoo.com> wrote:
>
> > In the past the special was announced as the V to Queens Plaza, however
> > since the V route was terminated last summer, I don't know how the R1/9
> > Nostalgia Special will be announced as. I suspect that crew announcements
> > will be made to as to the ttain operating over the M line to Queens
> > Plaza.
>
> In an earlier post there is a link to the official MTA announcement,
> so you can see how it is announced.
>
> The old trains do not have PA systems so there are no 'announcements'
> as such.  Actually, riding a train without the super-smooth-silky
> voice babbling incessantly about your personal belongings and
> terrorists is rather nice.

I have _never_ been on a train with this incessant babbling about
belongings and terrorists you keep complaining about.

PATH station platforms, yes. But subway trains, no.

> In past the runs the onboard MTA staff were most concerned with
> telling would-be passengers that the train is a short turn special,
> not any particular route.  When running the train does not pause long
> at stations.
>
> Many passengers who just happened to be there when the train showed up
> rode a station or two just for the experience.  Everyone enjoyed
> riding it very much.  Lots of cellphone pictures were taken.
>
> For the first time the MTA website includes a schedule, which is most
> helpful for visitors.  The schedule appears to the be the same as
> followed in the past two years.

A schedule was certainly posted here in past years. Where did it come
from if not the website?

Bolwerk

Nov 28, 2010, 2:21:42 AM11/28/10
On 11/27/2010 10:59 PM, Peter T. Daniels wrote:
> On Nov 27, 10:09 pm, hanco...@bbs.cpcn.com wrote:
>> On Nov 27, 8:37 pm, Bill<imo...@yahoo.com> wrote:
>>
>>> In the past the special was announced as the V to Queens Plaza, however
>>> since the V route was terminated last summer, I don't know how the R1/9
>>> Nostalgia Special will be announced as. I suspect that crew announcements
>>> will be made to as to the ttain operating over the M line to Queens
>>> Plaza.
>>
>> In an earlier post there is a link to the official MTA announcement,
>> so you can see how it is announced.
>>
>> The old trains do not have PA systems so there are no 'announcements'
>> as such. Actually, riding a train without the super-smooth-silky
>> voice babbling incessantly about your personal belongings and
>> terrorists is rather nice.
>
> I have _never_ been on a train with this incessant babbling about
> belongings and terrorists you keep complaining about.
>
> PATH station platforms, yes. But subway trains, no.

You know when I usually hear it? Going under the East River on the L
Train. I wouldn't say it's incessant, but it's irritating.

Jimmy

Nov 28, 2010, 2:20:10 PM11/28/10
hanco...@bbs.cpcn.com wrote:
> The old trains do not have PA systems so there are no 'announcements'
> as such.  Actually, riding a train without the super-smooth-silky
> voice babbling incessantly about your personal belongings and
> terrorists is rather nice.

I recently rode one of Long Island Bus's new buses, and I was
pleasantly surprised that there were no stop or safety propaganda
announcements. But there was an announcement every time the front
door opened telling people to push the tape on the back door to open
it. And a sensor detected if anyone stood in the back doorway (which
is the only place to stand on a bus with 2+2 seating without being in
the way), and made an announcement not to stand there.

Jimmy

Peter T. Daniels

Nov 28, 2010, 2:58:38 PM11/28/10

Hunh? How recently did you start riding NYC buses? These new-fangled
models with only three seats on a row, and a huge hike up to a handful
of seats in the rear, are fit only for small towns with no older
people.

hanc...@bbs.cpcn.com

Nov 28, 2010, 3:49:19 PM11/28/10
On Nov 27, 10:59 pm, "Peter T. Daniels" <gramma...@verizon.net> wrote:

> > For the first time the MTA website includes a schedule, which is most
> > helpful for visitors.  The schedule appears to the be the same as
> > followed in the past two years.
>
> A schedule was certainly posted here in past years. Where did it come
> from if not the website?

People with inside information share it.

Vince

Nov 28, 2010, 4:39:26 PM11/28/10

Our city buses can learn from that

Steven M. O'Neill

Nov 28, 2010, 9:30:55 PM11/28/10

They play it on the Manhattan Bridge too. Maybe they are told
to do it when crossing a river.

--
Steven O'Neill ste...@panix.com
Brooklyn, NY http://www.panix.com/~steveo

Vince

Nov 28, 2010, 11:22:50 PM11/28/10

Told to? As far as I can see the whole system is automatic

Bolwerk

Nov 29, 2010, 9:20:09 AM11/29/10
On 11/28/2010 9:30 PM, Steven M. O'Neill wrote:

Long distance between stops and little reason to announce other things.

On buses, there is this long, babbling message about how "bus drivers
are protected by New York State law" and "assaulting a bus driver is a
felony." That one is annoying as hell.

Peter T. Daniels

Nov 29, 2010, 10:13:59 AM11/29/10
On Nov 29, 9:20 am, Bolwerk <bolw...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 11/28/2010 9:30 PM, Steven M. O'Neill wrote:
> > Bolwerk<bolw...@gmail.com>  wrote:
> felony."  That one is annoying as hell.-

Nope, never heard that one, either. (And when I take a bus ride it's
usually a long one since I'm using my transfer to go back to where I'd
started on the subway.)

Though last week, on the M1Ltd on Madison, at 5:30 pm (plenty of
traffic, but the bus remained right on schedule, 42nd to 86th St.),
the driver would say something and then the P.A. would repeat it for
all to hear the announcement -- I suppose so he can stop it in case he
makes a mistake?

Steven M. O'Neill

Nov 29, 2010, 10:34:31 AM11/29/10

Sometimes the announcements are read by the conductor. I think
when they are recorded announcements, the conductor still has to
play them manually. But I guess we'd need to ask a conductor to
be sure.

hanc...@bbs.cpcn.com

Nov 29, 2010, 12:51:01 PM11/29/10
On Nov 29, 10:34 am, ste...@panix.com (Steven M. O'Neill) wrote:

> Sometimes the announcements are read by the conductor.  I think
> when they are recorded announcements, the conductor still has to
> play them manually.  But I guess we'd need to ask a conductor to
> be sure.

I like riding the older cars (eg R-32s) where there are no 'ding
dongs' and no automated announcements. The conductor manually makes
stop announcements and they're usually quite brief and to the point
"34th." .

Not "This is an uptown A train. Please stand clear of the closing
doors. The next station is 34th Street. Change here for the C34, U4,
T45, J35, K334. Please remember to take all your personal
belongings. Hold your children's hand while leaving the train. Watch
the gap between the door and station platform. If you see something
say something."

Peter T. Daniels

Nov 29, 2010, 1:18:50 PM11/29/10

Stop making things up. Have you been taking limbaugh lessons?

Jimmy

Nov 29, 2010, 2:20:22 PM11/29/10
"Peter T. Daniels" <gramma...@verizon.net> wrote:
> Jimmy <JimmyGeldb...@mailinator.com> wrote:
> > I recently rode one of Long Island Bus's new buses, and I was
> > pleasantly surprised that there were no stop or safety propaganda
> > announcements.  But there was an announcement every time the front
> > door opened telling people to push the tape on the back door to open
> > it.  And a sensor detected if anyone stood in the back doorway (which
> > is the only place to stand on a bus with 2+2 seating without being in
> > the way),
>
> Hunh? How recently did you start riding NYC buses? These new-fangled
> models with only three seats on a row, and a huge hike up to a handful
> of seats in the rear, are fit only for small towns with no older
> people.

Well, it's a tradeoff. If you want a low floor bus, to make things
easier for people who have trouble with stairs, it means no seats over
the front wheel wells. Which means 2+1 seating and fewer total seats,
or 2+2 seating and a narrower aisle.

And 2+1 seating is nothing new in NYC. Most of the older buses have
it, except those configured for express service (which sometimes turn
on less busy local routes). Some of the former private companies also
had 2+2 seating.

Mid 90s bus with 2+1 seating: the first picture at
http://www.ttmg.org/pages/tmc/nymta-tmcf.html

Early 80s bus with 2+1 seating: http://www.ttmg.org/photos/tlogan/NYCB_Flxible_80-Interior.jpg

Early 90s express configuration with 2+2 seating:
http://www.ttmg.org/photos/tlogan/NYCB_GMC_85SR-Interior.jpg

2005 low floor bus with 2+1 seating: http://www.flickr.com/photos/apta_2050/4744472253/

Jimmy

Jimmy

Nov 29, 2010, 2:35:31 PM11/29/10
"Peter T. Daniels" <gramma...@verizon.net> wrote:
> hanco...@bbs.cpcn.com wrote:
> > Not "This is an uptown A train.  Please stand clear of the closing
> > doors.  The next station is 34th Street.  Change here for the C34, U4,
> > T45, J35, K334.  Please remember to take all your personal
> > belongings.  Hold your children's hand while leaving the train.  Watch
> > the gap between the door and station platform.  If you see something
> > say something."
>
> Stop making things up. Have you been taking limbaugh lessons?

Instead of posting an ad hominem attack with no useful contribution to
the discussion, why don't you provide some facts to support your
argument?

Here is a recording of various NYC subway announcements. The content
starts at 0:23. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1mbU7r-YDLA

Jimmy

Jimmy

Nov 29, 2010, 2:39:44 PM11/29/10
"Peter T. Daniels" <gramma...@verizon.net> wrote:
> hanco...@bbs.cpcn.com wrote:
> > The old trains do not have PA systems so there are no 'announcements'
> > as such.  Actually, riding a train without the super-smooth-silky
> > voice babbling incessantly about your personal belongings and
> > terrorists is rather nice.
>
> I have _never_ been on a train with this incessant babbling about
> belongings and terrorists you keep complaining about.

Do you believe in things you haven't personally seen or heard?
Acquiring information based on other people's first-hand accounts is a
useful life skill.

http://transittrax.mta.info/audio/ttx_transcpts/SeeSomethingSaySomething.htm
says:

"Audio from R142 car: Ladies and Gentlemen, this is an important
message from the New York City Police Department. Keep your belongings
in sight at all times. Protect yourself. If you see a suspicious
package or activity on the platform or train, do not keep it to
yourself. Tell a Police Officer or an MTA employee. Remain alert and
have a safe day."

Jimmy

houn...@yahoo.co.uk

Nov 29, 2010, 4:04:29 PM11/29/10
Were there many who were oblivious to the fact that they were on an
old-model train?

houn...@yahoo.co.uk

Nov 29, 2010, 4:05:10 PM11/29/10
Are they manual or computer announcements?

Steven M. O'Neill

Nov 29, 2010, 4:06:01 PM11/29/10

Depends on the equipment.

houn...@yahoo.co.uk

Nov 29, 2010, 4:08:03 PM11/29/10

Have they started installing plexi-glass guards yet to protect drivers?

hanc...@bbs.cpcn.com

Nov 29, 2010, 4:11:33 PM11/29/10
On Nov 29, 4:04 pm, "hounsl...@yahoo.co.uk" <hounsl...@yahoo.co.uk>
wrote:

> Were there many who were oblivious to the fact that they were on an
> old-model train?

I think virtually every rider knew they were on an old train. The
incandescent lights, rattan seats, and old interior make it pretty
clear. Also, the old style "grrrrr" noise of the motors.

Everybody whipped out their cell phone cameras and was smiling.

One of the cars was remodeled with flourescent lights and looks a
little newer.

hanc...@bbs.cpcn.com

Nov 29, 2010, 4:20:14 PM11/29/10
On Nov 29, 4:08 pm, "hounsl...@yahoo.co.uk" <hounsl...@yahoo.co.uk>
wrote:

> > On buses, there is this long, babbling message about how "bus drivers
> > are protected by New York State law" and "assaulting a bus driver is a
> > felony." That one is annoying as hell.
>
> Have they started installing plexi-glass guards yet to protect drivers?

Back in the late 1960s/early 1970s, many US cities, including NYC,
converted to exact fares--the bus drivers no longer made change.
Until that time holdups were a serious problem. After exact fare it
was much less of a problem. However, there have been a few assaults,
including murders, over the years. For irrational attacks such as
those it's pretty hard to protect employees because the attacker isn't
acting rationally.

I don't think annoucements about assault being a felony has any
deterrent effect. If someone is so much internal rage that they're
gonna assault a transit worker, an announcement isn't gonna make any
difference to them, indeed, it might anger them even worse.

Something bad happened to the US social fabric in the 1960s,
especially in cities. The Attica prison riot illustrates the change
in attitudes: it was noted that in the old days most prison imates
accepted their fate as their own doing and were
willing to do their time reasonably quietly. But in the 1960s a great
resentment grew and the new generation of inmates felt they were
imprisoned unfairly, and thus violence became much worse.

At this time crime increased on transit systems. A friend of mine was
assaulted in the subway for no reason and lost an eye. The NYTM even
did an exhibit on films of that period and how violence was a big
theme in theme. The Taking of Pelham 1-2-3 was inspired in part by
that violence.

Peter T. Daniels

Nov 29, 2010, 4:41:49 PM11/29/10

_Various_ announcements.

Not 60-word paragraphs combining all possible announcements.

And, you don't know what "ad hominem" means.

Peter T. Daniels

Nov 29, 2010, 4:44:10 PM11/29/10
On Nov 29, 2:39 pm, Jimmy <JimmyGeldb...@mailinator.com> wrote:
> "Peter T. Daniels" <gramma...@verizon.net> wrote:
>
> > hanco...@bbs.cpcn.com wrote:
> > > The old trains do not have PA systems so there are no 'announcements'
> > > as such.  Actually, riding a train without the super-smooth-silky
> > > voice babbling incessantly about your personal belongings and
> > > terrorists is rather nice.
>
> > I have _never_ been on a train with this incessant babbling about
> > belongings and terrorists you keep complaining about.
>
> Do you believe in things you haven't personally seen or heard?
> Acquiring information based on other people's first-hand accounts is a
> useful life skill.
>
> http://transittrax.mta.info/audio/ttx_transcpts/SeeSomethingSaySometh...

> says:
>
> "Audio from R142 car: Ladies and Gentlemen, this is an important
> message from the New York City Police Department. Keep your belongings
> in sight at all times. Protect yourself. If you see a suspicious
> package or activity on the platform or train, do not keep it to
> yourself. Tell a Police Officer or an MTA employee. Remain alert and
> have a safe day."

Another word you don't know the meaning of is "incessant."

Peter T. Daniels

Nov 29, 2010, 4:47:16 PM11/29/10
On Nov 29, 2:20 pm, Jimmy <JimmyGeldb...@mailinator.com> wrote:
> "Peter T. Daniels" <gramma...@verizon.net> wrote:
>
> > Jimmy <JimmyGeldb...@mailinator.com> wrote:
> > > I recently rode one of Long Island Bus's new buses, and I was
> > > pleasantly surprised that there were no stop or safety propaganda
> > > announcements.  But there was an announcement every time the front
> > > door opened telling people to push the tape on the back door to open
> > > it.  And a sensor detected if anyone stood in the back doorway (which
> > > is the only place to stand on a bus with 2+2 seating without being in
> > > the way),
>
> > Hunh? How recently did you start riding NYC buses? These new-fangled
> > models with only three seats on a row, and a huge hike up to a handful
> > of seats in the rear, are fit only for small towns with no older
> > people.
>
> Well, it's a tradeoff.  If you want a low floor bus, to make things
> easier for people who have trouble with stairs, it means no seats over
> the front wheel wells.  Which means 2+1 seating and fewer total seats,
> or 2+2 seating and a narrower aisle.
>
> And 2+1 seating is nothing new in NYC.  Most of the older buses have
> it, except those configured for express service (which sometimes turn
> on less busy local routes).  Some of the former private companies also
> had 2+2 seating.

You clearly have a very constrained idea of "older." The buses on
Riverside Drive I took home from school in the 1950s didn't have 2+1
seating.

The buses I rode from Riverdale to the subways in the 1990s didn't
have 2+1 seating.

> Mid 90s bus with 2+1 seating: the first picture athttp://www.ttmg.org/pages/tmc/nymta-tmcf.html

Bolwerk

Nov 29, 2010, 6:34:29 PM11/29/10

In all fairness, there is only one bus line I take frequently, and it
just got new equipment. Regardless, I'm not assaulting my driver. I
promise. It also has low frequency, and often long trips between stops.

Some of that new equipment announces after hitting the stop request
button,* "Please exit through the rear door," loudly. The announcement
is almost always ignored.

* I don't think it does that every time you hit it.

> Though last week, on the M1Ltd on Madison, at 5:30 pm (plenty of
> traffic, but the bus remained right on schedule, 42nd to 86th St.),
> the driver would say something and then the P.A. would repeat it for
> all to hear the announcement -- I suppose so he can stop it in case he
> makes a mistake?

The PA does that to prevent speaker feedback - presumably not a problem
for conductors on trains (though maybe it does it on trains too, and we
just don't notice).

Bolwerk

Nov 29, 2010, 6:36:17 PM11/29/10

In most cases, we are talking about automated announcements. In some
cases, the same announcements are made by conductors on older equipment.

Bolwerk

Nov 29, 2010, 6:37:25 PM11/29/10

That is one that is usually heard on the L going under the East River,
if not at other times. The equipment is universally recent.

Bolwerk

Nov 29, 2010, 7:34:22 PM11/29/10

Nah, I think serious assault is pretty rare. Cursing and perhaps
spitting are not, though.

Vince

Nov 29, 2010, 11:25:07 PM11/29/10
The A is not running new trains as yet unless they started in the last month

Vince

Nov 29, 2010, 11:31:12 PM11/29/10

Many years ago on one of the BMT number trains I think 15 or 16, the
speaker or mike got stuck and the train sound keep re-feeding in and
out. I was gald to get off that train

Jimmy

Nov 30, 2010, 9:46:02 AM11/30/10
"Peter T. Daniels" <gramma...@verizon.net> wrote:
> Jimmy <JimmyGeldb...@mailinator.com> wrote:
> >"Peter T. Daniels" <gramma...@verizon.net> wrote:
> > > Hunh? How recently did you start riding NYC buses? These new-fangled
> > > models with only three seats on a row, and a huge hike up to a handful
> > > of seats in the rear, are fit only for small towns with no older
> > > people.
>
> > And 2+1 seating is nothing new in NYC.  Most of the older buses have
> > it, except those configured for express service (which sometimes turn
> > on less busy local routes).  Some of the former private companies also
> > had 2+2 seating.
>
> You clearly have a very constrained idea of "older." The buses on
> Riverside Drive I took home from school in the 1950s didn't have 2+1
> seating.
>
> The buses I rode from Riverdale to the subways in the 1990s didn't
> have 2+1 seating.

Well, I thought you were suggesting that 2+1 seating was new with the
low-floor buses which arrived in the last 5 years ("new-fangled models

with only three seats on a row, and a huge hike up to a handful of

seats in the rear"). 2+1 seating has existed in NYC for at least 30
years, possibly longer (does anyone know?).

And this 1970s bus had even fewer seats: the first picture at
http://www.ttmg.org/pages/flxible/nymta-flxibleb.html .

Jimmy

hanc...@bbs.cpcn.com

Nov 30, 2010, 10:43:22 AM11/30/10
On Nov 30, 9:46 am, Jimmy <JimmyGeldb...@mailinator.com> wrote:

> Well, I thought you were suggesting that 2+1 seating was new with the
> low-floor buses which arrived in the last 5 years ("new-fangled models
> with only three seats on a row, and a huge hike up to a handful of
> seats in the rear").  2+1 seating has existed in NYC for at least 30
> years, possibly longer (does anyone know?).

NYC buses used to have perimenter seating--hard benches along the
walls.

A while ago (1980s) NYCTA had serious maintenance troubles and
arranged to use Washington DC buses. They sent a group of bus drivers
down to DC by air (first time many of them ever flew) and they drove a
fleet of buses back (NYT article). The public liked the DC buses
since they had much nicer seats. That may have inspired to MTA to get
better seating. SEPTA too had a bus shortage and also got DC buses--
they were rushed into service so fast they didn''t bother to remove
the DC advertising cards.

As an aside, earlier in this thread I think there was confusion--one
poster was talking about LI Bus while another confused that to be NYCT
bus. I believe LI buses use different seating than NYCT buses.

As an aside, SEPTA inherited some longer-distance buses (intended
mostly for charter service) and occassionally one would pop up in
local service. Riders got treated to luggage racks, nice cushioned
seats, individual reading lights. But the driver had to contend with
a stick shift in city traffic.

I don't think NYCT/MaBSTOA offered chartered bus service as did many
other transit agencies (a practice inherited from their private
company predecessors). Charter bus service was a way to pick up some
nice profits and provide a public service. I understand the Feds
dictated that this was unfair to remaining private bus companies in
the charter business and ordered public agencies to cease it. They
can and do offer charter rail service (streetcars, trackless trolleys,
subways, or trains), but some of them charge extremely high rates to
do so.

Peter T. Daniels

Nov 30, 2010, 12:37:34 PM11/30/10
On Nov 30, 9:46 am, Jimmy <JimmyGeldb...@mailinator.com> wrote:
> "Peter T. Daniels" <gramma...@verizon.net> wrote:
> > Jimmy <JimmyGeldb...@mailinator.com> wrote:

> > > And 2+1 seating is nothing new in NYC.  Most of the older buses have
> > > it, except those configured for express service (which sometimes turn
> > > on less busy local routes).  Some of the former private companies also
> > > had 2+2 seating.
>
> > You clearly have a very constrained idea of "older." The buses on
> > Riverside Drive I took home from school in the 1950s didn't have 2+1
> > seating.
>
> > The buses I rode from Riverdale to the subways in the 1990s didn't
> > have 2+1 seating.
>
> Well, I thought you were suggesting that 2+1 seating was new with the
> low-floor buses which arrived in the last 5 years ("new-fangled models
> with only three seats on a row, and a huge hike up to a handful of
> seats in the rear").  2+1 seating has existed in NYC for at least 30
> years, possibly longer (does anyone know?).

Still another word you're not familiar with: "and."

Joseph D. Korman

Nov 30, 2010, 8:07:13 PM11/30/10
That car is 1575. The original was involved in a wreck in 1946. When the Board
of Transportation was planning the R-10 fleet, they sent 1575 to the
manufacturer for rebuild.

| Joseph D. Korman |
| mailto:re...@thejoekorner.com |
| Visit The JoeKorNer at |
| http://www.thejoekorner.com |
|-------------------------------------------------|
| The light at the end of the tunnel ... |
| may be a train going the other way! |
| Brooklyn Tech Grads build things that work!('66)|
|-------------------------------------------------|
| All outgoing E-mail is scanned by NAV |

Jimmy

Dec 1, 2010, 11:46:26 AM12/1/10
"Peter T. Daniels" <gramma...@verizon.net> wrote:
> Jimmy <JimmyGeldb...@mailinator.com> wrote:

> > > You clearly have a very constrained idea of "older." The buses on
> > > Riverside Drive I took home from school in the 1950s didn't have 2+1
> > > seating.
>
> > > The buses I rode from Riverdale to the subways in the 1990s didn't
> > > have 2+1 seating.
>
> > Well, I thought you were suggesting that 2+1 seating was new with the
> > low-floor buses which arrived in the last 5 years ("new-fangled models
> > with only three seats on a row, and a huge hike up to a handful of
> > seats in the rear").  2+1 seating has existed in NYC for at least 30
> > years, possibly longer (does anyone know?).
>
> Still another word you're not familiar with: "and."

I have no idea what you're talking about -- you've failed to
communicate your point.

You've pushed my "someone on the Internet is wrong" button enough
times -- I'm done with this discussion.

Jimmy

Peter T. Daniels

Dec 1, 2010, 12:37:23 PM12/1/10

I said the new buses have 2+1 seating AND a flight of stairs at the
back.

You found examples of buses from a few years ago that had 2+1 seating.

hanc...@bbs.cpcn.com

Dec 1, 2010, 4:14:59 PM12/1/10
from mta website:

MTA New York City Transit Adds Service for the Holidays and Runs
Nostalgia Specials

If you're planning on taking advantage of all of the great things the
City has to offer this holiday season, including the shopping,
sightseeing and visits with friends and relatives, MTA New York City
Transit will be offering more frequent weekend service along several
subway lines. Riders will also have the opportunity to ride a vintage
bus or "nostalgia train" to add to the holiday cheer.

NYC Transit provides subway service to meet demand and careful
monitoring of past holiday travel trends shows that the number of
subway trips rise during the peak holiday season. The numbered lines
in Manhattan see significant ridership increases which are driven
largely by trips made by holiday shoppers.

‘This is an extremely busy time of year for weekend travel and we are
increasing our scheduled weekend service in areas of historically high
ridership," said NYC Transit President Thomas F. Prendergast. By
adding extra trains we are able to increase capacity and also shorten
the wait time for riders."

The service increases will be in place the weekends of December 4th
and 5th, 11th and 12th, and 18th and 19th. During these periods,
customers using the No 1 and No. 6 will see scheduled wait times drop
from eight to six minutes. Combined, No. 2 and No. 3 trains will
arrive every five minutes instead of the regularly scheduled six.
No. 4 and No. 5 trains are also scheduled for an increase in service
from every five minutes to every four.

Three of the lettered lines will also benefit from increases in
scheduled service during these December weekends. E trains are
scheduled to run every 71/2 minutes instead of every 10 minutes on
Saturday evening and Sunday. E service is already scheduled to arrive
at 7 1/2 minute intervals during the day on Saturdays. F train riders
will also see trains scheduled to arrive every 7 1/2 minutes instead
of every 10 minutes on Saturday and Sunday. Q service is scheduled to
run every 7 1/2 minutes instead of every 10 minutes.

Just in time for the holidays, NYC Transit is also running buses and
subway cars from its historic fleet. Bus customers will once again
have the opportunity to ride buses from the 1950s, 1960s and 1970s,
and this year, the nostalgia fleet will operate along routes in all
five boroughs. Vintage buses will operate along the B1 and B65 in
Brooklyn; S61 in Staten Island; Q13 and Q46 in Queens; M34 and M42 in
Manhattan and the Bx7 and Bx30 in the Bronx.

Subway customers may also take a ride back in time between Queens and
Lower Manhattan along the M line through the holiday season. The
"Nostalgia Train" is made up of subway cars in service from 1932 until
1977. Ceiling fans, padded seats and incandescent light bulbs were
state-of-the-art when these cars were first placed in service.

Many New Yorkers bear fond memories of the trains, which served the
lettered lines throughout the system. However, with the cars having
been out of service for more than 30 years, many New Yorkers have
never experienced the charm of wicker seats and ceiling fans. The
holiday "Nostalgia Train" will operate on Sundays only, between the
hours of 10 a.m. and 5 p.m., from November 28th to December 26th.