Repeater Digital modes

Brian Lawler

Mar 26, 2016, 7:24:30 PM3/26/16
to MBARC-Digital Group
Hey DG;

I sent a note to the Repeater Group board letting them know that we will be playing with digital modes on the King hill repeater.  I just realized that the tone on the output won't make any difference for our play however.  Only Fusion mode exits the repeater without tone encoding.  So anything we try (MT-63, etc etc.) will still exit in "analog" mode WITH CTCSS tone encoding.

Still- no big deal.  It's ham radio.  We have played with digital modes on Sumas and Connie before.  Grumps gotta grump :)

-Brian

Peter Dahl

Mar 26, 2016, 7:35:46 PM3/26/16
to nww...@googlegroups.com
Hi Brian,
If you can command the repeater into COS mode during digital mode “play time” and train analog users to turn on CTCSS decoding on their radios their radios will remain quiet until the repeater is again “commanded” to encode CTCSS.

Peter, WA7FUS

kp2x

Mar 26, 2016, 8:06:58 PM3/26/16
to Brian Lawler, MBARC-Digital Group
Works for me...

KP2X

Art Miller KC7SDA

Apr 10, 2016, 12:49:11 PM4/10/16
to Northwest Washington Digital Amateur Radio
Ok, I should be able to hop onto the repeater tonight around 5 to try some modes if anyone is interested, we'll start with psk31 and see where to go from there. I'd like to try some more 'exotic' modes and try sending some files (small jpg clip art).

As a reminder we are going to use king mt repeater, 147.170+ 103.5 tone for input, I ran into Brian yesterday and we don't need anything on the output, so it should work fine.

73
Art

Gayland Gump

Apr 10, 2016, 2:02:29 PM4/10/16
to nww...@googlegroups.com
Is there anyway I can use the TNC-Pi to do packet.  Do you know what software I might be looking at to do this?

Gayland
KG7GCF

Bill Vodall

Apr 10, 2016, 2:09:18 PM4/10/16
to nww...@googlegroups.com
> Is there anyway I can use the TNC-Pi to do packet. Do you know what
> software I might be looking at to do this?

Legacy packet as opposed to APRS or winlinky?

If so, maybe overkill but two rich applicatins are:

linbpq32 -

- http://www.cantab.net/users/john.wiseman/Documents/InstallingLINBPQ.htm
- http://ag6qo.com/RpiBPQnode.html

JNOS

- http://www.ag6qo.com/PiPBBS.html

Brian Lawler

Apr 10, 2016, 2:14:46 PM4/10/16
to MBARC-Digital Group
Keep in mind that packet will not work on a voice repeater as it can't handle the handshake timing.  No problem playing on simplex though.

I have not done much with my TNC-Pi, but it should work similarly to any other packet TNC (jump in Robert, Art if I am wrong).  You should be able to just open a terminal window and use the packet "keyboard to keyboard" commands.  Here is one reference I googled: http://www.choisser.com/packet/   I have not played with the keyboard mode for many years, so I am not up on it.  My packet activity is limited to Winlink and APRS.

-Brian

Gayland Gump

Apr 10, 2016, 3:23:42 PM4/10/16
to nww...@googlegroups.com
I was thinking winlink/rms primarily at this point but as a linux user the path is not crystal clear and I hate wasting time following software that won't get me where I want to go.  Have been looking a linbpq32 haven't come across JNOS.   Thanks for the sugggestions.

Gayland
KG7GCF

Gayland Gump

Apr 10, 2016, 4:04:03 PM4/10/16
to nww...@googlegroups.com
I was looking for a way to be able to do winlink/rms for emergency packet communications.  I'm trying to use the community to keep me from wasting too much energy pursuing dead ends.

Gayland
KG7GCF

Robert Sears

Apr 10, 2016, 4:18:28 PM4/10/16
to nww...@googlegroups.com
I think Art wants to use Fldigi like him and I did once before, I don't know how that will work with the repeater.

Fldigi does not use a TNC, I am pretty sure Art was using a Signalink, I made a quickie one for my Pi out out of a USB soundcard and USB serial adapter for PTT.  I will have to get that working again for tonight...

I have been playing with packet and Monitoring the "standard" packet frequencies (145.01, 05, 07, 09) I see a fair amount of activity, mostly Canadian, a couple Winlink server beacons and a BBS or two. But I haven't seen any actual packet "QSO's" or chats other than connects to the Winlink server.

I have an old AEA-DSP2232 dual TNC and it still works. I kind of like the "smart" TNC versus the KISS style as the only software I need is a dumb terminal like Tera-Term, just wish I could find a complete manual with the full command summary and appendices intact. I have been connecting to myself and "chatting" it's kind of interesting how it works.

I found one promising program for Linux that is made for packet using a TNC called Linpac https://sourceforge.net/projects/linpac/

I just saw Gayland's last email and I would be interested in a presentation on Winlink myself.

Also it looks like on Windows the AGWPE packet engine is the way to go. I have been messing with that a bit too with my DSP-2232.

Robert/KF7VOP

Bill Vodall

Apr 10, 2016, 4:48:18 PM4/10/16
to nww...@googlegroups.com

Have you tried the RMS express program?  It's the standard for wl2k email.

Scott Johnson

Apr 10, 2016, 4:48:24 PM4/10/16
to nww...@googlegroups.com
For Windows and sound card see W2YG suite of programs for Winlink RMS installation. Works well and has some set up options. Walks you through install options in an integrated fashion.

Scott/AE7RO

--
73, Scott/AE7RO

Art Miller

Apr 10, 2016, 6:32:44 PM4/10/16
to nww...@googlegroups.com

The problem is that it's kiss based and doesn't have stack like what a tnc like the kpc3 has that manages the connection between stations,  I did try to connect to it from the meeting but there are bugs in the software

Bill Vodall

Apr 10, 2016, 7:06:03 PM4/10/16
to nww...@googlegroups.com
>> Is there anyway I can use the TNC-Pi to do packet.

> The problem is that it's kiss based and doesn't have stack like what a tnc
> like the kpc3 has that manages the connection between stations,

The TNC-PI? The basic functionality is in the AX25 tools and
utilities that are part of Linux. That's what you use for monitoring
(axlisten) or connecting (call)

Art

Apr 10, 2016, 7:07:40 PM4/10/16
to nww...@googlegroups.com
yes but when i tried it out to try to connect to my home station even
though it heard the call and responded to it the connection never took
place on the pi end, thats why i say there's a bug in the ax25 stack

Robert Sears

Apr 10, 2016, 7:58:28 PM4/10/16
to nww...@googlegroups.com
I am getting setup but can't get into the repeater.

Brian Lawler

Apr 10, 2016, 8:03:06 PM4/10/16
to MBARC-Digital Group
King VHF?  I kerchunked it just now (and ID-ed :)

-B

Art

Apr 10, 2016, 8:03:55 PM4/10/16
to nww...@googlegroups.com
Did I get the freq right Brian?

Art

Peter Dahl

Apr 10, 2016, 8:08:47 PM4/10/16
to nww...@googlegroups.com
Freq is 147.16 not 147.17

Sent from my iPad

Art Miller KC7SDA

Brian Lawler

Robert Sears

Apr 10, 2016, 8:23:10 PM4/10/16
to nww...@googlegroups.com
It sounds fuzzy on my handheld and I got line of site to King Mtn.

Art

Apr 10, 2016, 9:12:16 PM4/10/16
to nww...@googlegroups.com
ok, so apparently hell doesn't work on repeaters, or with signalink....

Art

Robert Sears

Apr 10, 2016, 10:14:52 PM4/10/16
to nww...@googlegroups.com
Brian and I were using Field Hell without issue

Art Miller

Apr 10, 2016, 10:31:15 PM4/10/16
to nww...@googlegroups.com

My signalink kept keying and unkeying the mic.... I think it has to do with the ptt setting... any ideas?

Robert Sears

Apr 11, 2016, 12:37:01 AM4/11/16
to nww...@googlegroups.com
If anyone is still playing around with their TNC-Pi I have a packet mail
drop running on 145.010

Just use kissattatch and axcall from a terminal window just like in the
TNC-Pi manual

See if you can connect and leave a message.

Robert/KF7VOP

Brian Lawler

Apr 11, 2016, 1:01:09 AM4/11/16
to MBARC-Digital Group
I think Feld Hell is a mode that likes a longer delay setting on the Signalink.  If the delay is short it will T/R switch during transmissions.

-B

Art Miller

Apr 11, 2016, 6:32:51 AM4/11/16
to nww...@googlegroups.com

OK,  I'll mess around with that later in the week,  I need to get some sort of audio monitor setup that I can lower the sound on....

Gayland Gump

Apr 11, 2016, 2:52:36 PM4/11/16
to nww...@googlegroups.com
Dang,  Gail got sick last night so I was totally distracted.  I am interested in this any chance you can talk about it at the Digital meeting.  Maybe bring your pi and I'll do likewise/

Gayland
KG7GCF

Bill Vodall

Apr 11, 2016, 2:57:20 PM4/11/16
to nww...@googlegroups.com
> interested in this any chance you can talk about it at the Digital meeting.
> Maybe bring your pi and I'll do likewise/
>
> KG7GCF

Anybody going to Linuxfest in two weeks? I'll be up there for the
afternoon and am working on a Ham Radio project on the side. I hope
to set up a small antenna in the field by the parking lot and see what
I can work with HF NVIS. Getting set up for NVIS portable has been a
goal of mine for some time and this outing is a good excuse to put
some of the pieces together and try it. I'm primarily working on
simple Voice but may try to get the new SCS Tracker TNC running if
there's time.

73
Bill, WA7NWP

Robert Sears

Apr 11, 2016, 11:55:20 PM4/11/16
to nww...@googlegroups.com
It's fairly straight forward, revisit the setup instructions in the TNC-PI manual if it's been a long time

Hook up your TNC-PI to your radio and tune to 145.010

Open a terminal window

Kissattach your TNC (sudo kissattach /dev/ttyAMA0 1 10.1.1.1)

You should get something back like  AX.25 port 1 bound to device ax0

Now ax listen for my beacon (sudo axlisten -a)

Beacon is every 10 minutes you should see a line of info and then a line that says 0000 KF7VOP-2 Maildrop

Control-C to exit axlisten

Call me (axcall 1 KF7VOP-2)

The screen will change when you get connected to a sort of split screen you can always type ? or "help" for help.

Robert/KF7VOP