UDRC setup

Robert Sears

Oct 19, 2016, 11:06:58 PM10/19/16
to MBARC-Digital Group

If you have not found it yet and want to jump in here is the place to get started.

https://nw-digital-radio.groups.io/g/udrc/wiki/UDRC%E2%84%A2-and-Direwolf-Packet-Modem

Robert Sears

Oct 21, 2016, 9:11:04 PM10/21/16
to nww...@googlegroups.com
Has anyone else made any progress setting up your UDRC?

I have mine up but am having troubles getting programs like Xastir and APRSIS32 to transmit. I know the UDRC is working because DIrewolf transmits it's beacon just fine. I can see the data Xastir or APRSIS32 is sending to DIrewolf, but it never keys up the radio.

Robert/KF7VOP

On 10/19/2016 8:06 PM, Robert Sears wrote:

If you have not found it yet and want to jump in here is the place to get started.

https://nw-digital-radio.groups.io/g/udrc/wiki/UDRC%E2%84%A2-and-Direwolf-Packet-Modem

Gayland Gump

Budd Churchward

Robert Sears

Oct 21, 2016, 11:20:20 PM10/21/16
to nww...@googlegroups.com
No there is more to it than that, as not even APRSIS32 transmits.

Any program that uses DIrewolf is not transmitting, but they are sending their data to Direwolf.

Seems like a problem with the Direwolf config  to me.

I used the one on the UDRC Wiki and made sure I used the one for the UDRC2.

Robert/KF7VOP
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to nwwdigi+u...@googlegroups.com.

Robert Sears

Oct 22, 2016, 1:01:03 AM10/22/16
to nww...@googlegroups.com

Okay I got it figured out.

This is important to know when you configure the "Interface" in Xastir for the UDRC2.

The 9600 baud port is Transmit Radio Port 1
The 2400 baud port is Transmit Radio Port 2

I believe the default is 1 in Xastir and we are currently using 2400 baud packet so set it to port 2.

Now to figure out where to set that Xmit port in APRSIS32.

Robert/KF7VOP

Art

Oct 23, 2016, 1:46:08 PM10/23/16
to nww...@googlegroups.com

So I hooked up my pi 2 and UDRC (because i can't wait a day) to see what happens... I also got my multimeter hooked in to check out the current... at 12v it draws a max of around .2 ma.... and thats while its hooked up to a screen and everything! I'm going to keep testing it and see what happens... but I think it won't go much above that... this also means that a 'decent' solar panel with battery would be able to keep the battery charged AND run the pi at the same time =)

Art

Oct 23, 2016, 3:04:52 PM10/23/16
to nww...@googlegroups.com

I remember there was some talk about wiring and stuff and how its labeled...

so my question is this, i've found the 4 pins i need (pins 1-4) however I need to know if pin 1 (afin) or pin 4 (afout according to the wiki but the data sheet shows pin 5....?????) should be connected to the radio MIC or the Speaker connection....

Art

Budd Churchward

Oct 23, 2016, 3:17:20 PM10/23/16
to nww...@googlegroups.com

On the image you gave me I had to switch to KISS to get mine to work.

Art

Oct 23, 2016, 3:55:11 PM10/23/16
to nww...@googlegroups.com

i wonder if its the gpio pin and pin permissions....

Keith Williamson

Oct 23, 2016, 4:33:42 PM10/23/16
to nww...@googlegroups.com
As discussed at the meeting, the naming of the pins on the UDRC reflects the naming of the signals on the radio. So, UDRC pin 1 (AF In) connects to the radio's AF In (MIC) and UDRC pin 5 (AF Out) connects to the radio's AF Out (Speaker) for 1200bps packet. Alternatively (or additionally), UDRC pin 4 (DISC Out) connects to the radio's Discriminator Out for 9600bps packet.

I wired the UDRC mini DIN-6 to the DB9 on my Alinco DR135T as follows:

UDRC Pin 1  <------------> Alinco Packet Xmit Data In (1200)
UDRC Pin 2  <------------> Alinco GND
UDRC Pin 3  <------------> Alinco PTT
UDRC Pin 4  <------------> Alinco Packet Recv Data Out (9600)
UDRC Pin 5  <------------> Alinco Packet Recv Data Out (1200)
UDRC Pin 6  <------------> Alinco SQC Out

This all seems to be working nicely and I have noticed that Direwolf reports some packets coming in on pin 5 (AF Out) but most coming in on pin 4 (Discriminator Out).

If you don't have access to the Discriminator output on your radio, you'll need to use UDRC pin 5 connected to your radio's speaker out.

I've found that the advantage of using the discriminator output from the radio is that I can leave the radio's volume at what ever I want (including all the way down if I don't want to listen to the incessant packet tones).

Cheers,

Keith
KF7DRV