Baofeng HT to TNC PI wire?

Andy Sayler

Nov 25, 2016, 10:26:55 PM11/25/16
to Northwest Washington Digital Amateur Radio

So in the effort of moving forward and getting things up and running I was planning on doing some testing with the TNC PI while hooked to my Baofeng radio. I picked up the necessary components to make a custom wire. If I'm not mistaken I think I remember someone else that was trying to do something similar and having trouble with the pinout. I started searching the introwebs and found some crazy diagrams. This is the link to one of the sites that I found.

http://www.kh-gps.de/bf888.htm

The above picture is what I found.. Now I,m no electrical guy but I hope it doesn't need all that rigamarole...

maybe this will make more sense to one of you..

What do you think.. Am I getting warmer or still ice cold!

~Andy

Art

Nov 26, 2016, 7:34:44 AM11/26/16
to nww...@googlegroups.com

https://www.tnc-x.com/Baofeng.htm

you need none of that....

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/originals/d6/07/64/d6076420258c417003539ee126bbc561.jpg

thats the actual pinout (that I know of) for the UV-5 series....

the main connections you will need:

2.5mm: base: gnd, tip: speaker (this is the audio IN on a tnc)
3.5mm: base: PTT, RING: mic (this is the audio OUT on a tnc)

super simple =)
Art

Andy Sayler

Nov 26, 2016, 9:32:36 AM11/26/16
to Northwest Washington Digital Amateur Radio
Sweet! well that should simplify things a bit. Thanks for the push in the right direction Art... hopefully I can have all these things together and test its functionality by the next meeting!

Art

Nov 26, 2016, 11:06:14 AM11/26/16
to nww...@googlegroups.com

also the schematic you posted was for programming the radio using the rs232 type port, you can get fairly decent usb programming cables for $10-20 for just about every rig that does computer programming =)

Art

Bill Vodall

Nov 26, 2016, 12:11:48 PM11/26/16
to nww...@googlegroups.com
>> thats the actual pinout (that I know of) for the UV-5 series....

For those of us with more projects than time, Baofeng now sells a
ready made 'droid to Baofeng cable for sound card packet systems.

http://amzn.to/2fyZdSy

We shall soon see just how well this works.

73
Bill, wa7nwp

Gayland Gump

Nov 26, 2016, 6:49:07 PM11/26/16
to nww...@googlegroups.com
Rats, wrong connection on the UDRC end.

Gayland
KG7GCF

Peter Dahl

Nov 26, 2016, 6:52:48 PM11/26/16
to nww...@googlegroups.com
Although… creating an adapter for the Pi/UDRC and is MUCH easier than having to deal with creating your own custom cable for the radio end,

Peter - WA7FUS